Background: The Sinhalese arrived in Sri Lanka late in the 6th century B.C., probably from northern India. Buddhism was introduced beginning in about the mid-third century B.C., and a great civilization developed at the cities of Anuradhapura (kingdom from circa 200 B.C. to circa A.D. 1000) and Polonnaruwa (from about 1070 to 1200). In the 14th century, a south Indian dynasty seized power in the north and established a Tamil kingdom. Occupied by the Portuguese in the 16th century and by the Dutch in the 17th century, the island was ceded to the British in 1796, became a crown colony in 1802, and was united under British rule by 1815. As Ceylon, it became independent in 1948; its name was changed to Sri Lanka in 1972. Tensions between the Sinhalese majority and Tamil separatists erupted into war in 1983. Tens of thousands have died in an ethnic conflict that continues to fester. After two decades of fighting, the government and Liberation Tigers of Tamil Eelam formalized a cease-fire in February 2002, with Norway brokering peace negotiations.
Blogs from Unawatuna
Latest Blogs from Unawatuna
- March 14th 2013 Sri Lanka
by Words: 1046 Photos: 6
- November 2nd 2012 Getting wet
by Words: 8868 Photos: 0
- October 23rd 2012 Sun, sea, sand and more beer!
by Words: 5556 Photos: 70
- August 13th 2011 A beach called Unawatuna
by Words: 1123 Photos: 40
- July 17th 2011 Sri Lanka Week 5
by Words: 521 Photos: 22
- March 1st 2011 Does Deet actually work ?
by Words: 626 Photos: 0
- October 5th 2010 A world away - the honeymoon
by Words: 885 Photos: 20
- April 15th 2010 12- La goutte tombee de l'Inde
by Words: 2423 Photos: 27
- January 23rd 2010 Unawatuna
by Words: 416 Photos: 7
- December 10th 2009 Als könne er kein Wässerchen trüben ...
by Words: 3 Photos: 1
- November 13th 2009 Mir kommt kein Hund mehr ins Haus ...
by Words: 14 Photos: 1
- October 21st 2009 Unawatuna and the last days in Sri Lanka
by Words: 1488 Photos: 24
- September 4th 2009 Tropische Nebenwirkungen
by Words: 475 Photos: 0
- June 30th 2009 Observations
by Words: 358 Photos: 2
- June 30th 2009 Weekend in Unawatuna
by Words: 440 Photos: 3
- June 22nd 2009 Ceremony and other stuff
by Words: 227 Photos: 0
- June 15th 2009 First Days in Sri Lanka
by Words: 1360 Photos: 3
- April 16th 2009 Unawatuna, life on the beach!
by Words: 441 Photos: 3
- April 10th 2009 Sri Lanka drugic zadnjic
by Words: 625 Photos: 8
- August 20th 2008 Beach Party Bonanza!
by Words: 38 Photos: 3