Background: Korea was an independent kingdom under Chinese suzerainty for most of the past millennium. Following its victory in the Russo-Japanese War in 1905, Japan occupied Korea; five years later it formally annexed the entire peninsula. After World War II, a republic was set up in the southern half of the Korean Peninsula while a Communist-style government was installed in the north. During the Korean War (1950-53), US and other UN forces intervened to defend South Korea from North Korean attacks supported by the Chinese. An armistice was signed in 1953, splitting the peninsula along a demilitarized zone at about the 38th parallel. Thereafter, South Korea achieved rapid economic growth with per capita income rising to roughly 14 times the level of North Korea. In 1987, South Korean voters elected ROH Tae-woo to the presidency, ending 26 years of military dictatorships. South Korea today is a fully functioning modern democracy. In June 2000, a historic first North-South summit took place between the South's President KIM Tae-chung and the North's leader KIM Jong Il.
Photos from Sincheon
Blogs from Sincheon
Latest Blogs from Sincheon
- September 8th 2012 Seoul Day 4
by Words: 952 Photos: 11
- July 15th 2012 Dongdaemun Market
by Words: 286 Photos: 4
- July 13th 2012 And then there were two.
by Words: 1061 Photos: 0
- June 10th 2012 Noryangin fish market, Suwon fortress of frustation
by Words: 1044 Photos: 19
- June 6th 2012 Korean Memorial Day - National Museum and another hotel
by Words: 630 Photos: 11
- March 30th 2012 South Korea Itinerary (Seoul & Busan)
by Words: 397 Photos: 0
- February 6th 2010 "Reality"
by Words: 276 Photos: 0
- October 11th 2009 Hanbok Day and Chuseok Weekend
by Words: 821 Photos: 25
- August 27th 2009 The End of One and the Start of Another
by Words: 2206 Photos: 13
- July 14th 2009 Mon when? Monsoooooooooooon!
by Words: 455 Photos: 3
- March 29th 2009 here comes the sun
by Words: 355 Photos: 0
- March 27th 2009 The Beginning of the Universe
by Words: 109 Photos: 1
- March 16th 2009 This has been a test of the Korean Emergency System...
by Words: 787 Photos: 0
- March 8th 2009 It's Been 2 Crazy Weeks
by Words: 1284 Photos: 5
- March 8th 2009 My Sunday
by Words: 802 Photos: 29
- March 1st 2009 노래 방
by Words: 499 Photos: 2
- February 26th 2009 You shoulda told me to stop digging...
by Words: 790 Photos: 6
- December 5th 2008 My Korea trip
by Words: 278 Photos: 0
- November 22nd 2008 Korea!
by Words: 112 Photos: 0
- October 10th 2008 Seoul Part Deux
by Words: 1377 Photos: 20