Background: For centuries China stood as a leading civilization, outpacing the rest of the world in the arts and sciences, but in the 19th and early 20th centuries, the country was beset by civil unrest, major famines, military defeats, and foreign occupation. After World War II, the Communists under MAO Zedong established an autocratic socialist system that, while ensuring China's sovereignty, imposed strict controls over everyday life and cost the lives of tens of millions of people. After 1978, his successor DENG Xiaoping and other leaders focused on market-oriented economic development and by 2000 output had quadrupled. For much of the population, living standards have improved dramatically and the room for personal choice has expanded, yet political controls remain tight.
Blogs from Emei Shan
Latest Blogs from Emei Shan
- March 2nd 2013 Emei Shan - foggy on top and icy on the way down...
by Words: 1633 Photos: 23
- November 5th 2012 Giant Buddha's and Misty Mountains - just another day on the road...
by Words: 1712 Photos: 36
- July 14th 2012 The long night
by Words: 345 Photos: 2
- June 17th 2012 Emei Shan!
by Words: 552 Photos: 4
- July 20th 2011 Air conditioning. Aaah!
by Words: 401 Photos: 1
- November 26th 2010 Giant Leshan Buddha and Mount Emai
by Words: 17 Photos: 21
- November 23rd 2010 E'mei Shan
by Words: 802 Photos: 0
- November 22nd 2010 Emei Shan
by Words: 662 Photos: 19
- October 31st 2010 Sun 31 / 10
by Words: 354 Photos: 14
- October 10th 2010 Don't tell me to Ssshhhhhhh!
by Words: 1840 Photos: 20
- August 3rd 2010 china traumas
by Words: 270 Photos: 0
- June 22nd 2010 Sichuan - Holy Mountains & Monkeys
by Words: 883 Photos: 25
- May 10th 2010 Buddha Likes Pepsi and Monkeys Like Sprite
by Words: 1012 Photos: 10
- October 31st 2009 Mt Emei
by Words: 805 Photos: 40
- October 13th 2009 Climbing one of China’s four sacred Buddhist mountains
by Words: 3638 Photos: 41
- October 4th 2009 上山，莫名
by Words: 2105 Photos: 0
- October 4th 2009 上山，莫名，第二
by Words: 2256 Photos: 0
- April 30th 2009 Giant Buddha Leshan and the holy mountain Emei
by Words: 3012 Photos: 73
- April 26th 2009 Mount Emei
by Words: 1138 Photos: 33
- April 9th 2009 Hiking Emei Shan
by Words: 114 Photos: 4