Background: For centuries China stood as a leading civilization, outpacing the rest of the world in the arts and sciences, but in the 19th and early 20th centuries, the country was beset by civil unrest, major famines, military defeats, and foreign occupation. After World War II, the Communists under MAO Zedong established an autocratic socialist system that, while ensuring China's sovereignty, imposed strict controls over everyday life and cost the lives of tens of millions of people. After 1978, his successor DENG Xiaoping and other leaders focused on market-oriented economic development and by 2000 output had quadrupled. For much of the population, living standards have improved dramatically and the room for personal choice has expanded, yet political controls remain tight.
Blogs from Dalian
Latest Blogs from Dalian
- November 20th 2013 School Pictures & such.
by Words: 88 Photos: 27
- November 9th 2013 Kai Fa Qu (Development Zone)
by Words: 194 Photos: 51
- October 26th 2013 A few photograph highlights of our week.
by Words: 4 Photos: 30
- October 14th 2013 Just a few photos and small paragraph.
by Words: 284 Photos: 9
- July 29th 2013 Day 6 in China! Mandarin, Painting, Local Families and more excellent food!
by Words: 852 Photos: 0
- July 28th 2013 Day 4 and 5 in China! Bingyu Valley "Little Guillin"
by Words: 176 Photos: 0
- July 26th 2013 Day 3 in China! Geography, Art and Climbing 999 Steps to the Top of the Mountain
by Words: 299 Photos: 0
- July 25th 2013 Day 2 in China! - Mandarin, Abacus, Polar Aquarium and Dalian Nightlife
by Words: 291 Photos: 0
- July 16th 2013 Anticipation...
by Words: 28 Photos: 0
- January 21st 2013 DALIAN - delicious seafood, a sad seaside and a calligraphy lesson at McDonalds
by Words: 599 Photos: 7
- January 2nd 2013 A farewell to a friend.
by Words: 2284 Photos: 620
- August 30th 2012 End of the school year and bits and pieces of june in Dalian
by Words: 1138 Photos: 0
- August 19th 2012 Family, food, photos, and fun
by Words: 919 Photos: 29
- August 3rd 2012 The Farewell
by Words: 324 Photos: 30
- August 3rd 2012 Chinese Exam and the JD's Ordeal!
by Words: 839 Photos: 35
- August 1st 2012 The Badminton Tournament
by Words: 243 Photos: 0
- July 31st 2012 Shooting some B-Ball!
by Words: 194 Photos: 0
- July 30th 2012 The Beer Fest......with scorpion!
by Words: 438 Photos: 30
- July 25th 2012 Football v China
by Words: 187 Photos: 0
- July 24th 2012 Karaoke!
by Words: 171 Photos: 0