Background: For centuries China stood as a leading civilization, outpacing the rest of the world in the arts and sciences, but in the 19th and early 20th centuries, the country was beset by civil unrest, major famines, military defeats, and foreign occupation. After World War II, the Communists under MAO Zedong established an autocratic socialist system that, while ensuring China's sovereignty, imposed strict controls over everyday life and cost the lives of tens of millions of people. After 1978, his successor DENG Xiaoping and other leaders focused on market-oriented economic development and by 2000 output had quadrupled. For much of the population, living standards have improved dramatically and the room for personal choice has expanded, yet political controls remain tight.
Photos from Dalian
Blogs from Dalian
Latest Blogs from Dalian
- July 15th 2012 Off to Dalian!
by Words: 428 Photos: 0
- April 29th 2011 Dalian isn't ready for this
by Words: 424 Photos: 7
- March 25th 2011 China, India, and Year Three in a Nutshell
by Words: 1885 Photos: 9
- March 17th 2011 And the journey begins...
by Words: 274 Photos: 0
- November 7th 2010 xi'an: the rest of the adventure
by Words: 196 Photos: 0
- November 6th 2010 the last few days :(
by Words: 466 Photos: 0
- November 1st 2010 oh, how i love Beijing!!!
by Words: 436 Photos: 0
- October 27th 2010 xi'an part 3 and ktv!
by Words: 177 Photos: 35
- October 20th 2010 you know you are in china when...
by Words: 235 Photos: 0
- October 18th 2010 partying and hiking
by Words: 255 Photos: 0
- October 15th 2010 pizza and fun!
by Words: 334 Photos: 0
- October 14th 2010 flowers and lunch
by Words: 290 Photos: 0
- October 12th 2010 ohhh the food!!!
by Words: 324 Photos: 0
- October 6th 2010 October Holiday to Dalian
by Words: 1939 Photos: 12
- October 6th 2010 Dalian - September
by Words: 703 Photos: 27
- February 19th 2010 Cambodia and Vietnam for the winter holiday
by Words: 3045 Photos: 79
- October 28th 2009 Fairy's trip
by Words: 203 Photos: 14
- September 4th 2009 Don't Trust a Fart
by Words: 386 Photos: 0
- September 1st 2009 Year Two Begins
by Words: 1060 Photos: 21
- August 31st 2009 Recognizing the Symptoms of Culture Shock: A Field Manual
by Words: 634 Photos: 0