Background: For centuries China stood as a leading civilization, outpacing the rest of the world in the arts and sciences, but in the 19th and early 20th centuries, the country was beset by civil unrest, major famines, military defeats, and foreign occupation. After World War II, the Communists under MAO Zedong established an autocratic socialist system that, while ensuring China's sovereignty, imposed strict controls over everyday life and cost the lives of tens of millions of people. After 1978, his successor DENG Xiaoping and other leaders focused on market-oriented economic development and by 2000 output had quadrupled. For much of the population, living standards have improved dramatically and the room for personal choice has expanded, yet political controls remain tight.
Photos from Liaoning
Blogs from Liaoning
Latest Blogs from Liaoning
- February 10th 2013 My lovely nephew.
by Words: 6 Photos: 4
- February 10th 2013 the Eastern Beginning of the Great Wall-Hushan Great Wall
by Words: 263 Photos: 16
- January 21st 2013 DALIAN - delicious seafood, a sad seaside and a calligraphy lesson at McDonalds
by Words: 599 Photos: 7
- December 27th 2012 brief introduction to Dalian.
by Words: 1845 Photos: 0
- November 6th 2012 Qianshan- Mountain of A Thousand Peaks
by Words: 150 Photos: 12
- October 19th 2012 Hanging out with the locals- Nightlife Shenyang
by Words: 48 Photos: 7
- September 25th 2012 Shopping in Shenyang
by Words: 27 Photos: 12
- August 30th 2012 End of the school year and bits and pieces of june in Dalian
by Words: 1138 Photos: 0
- August 19th 2012 Family, food, photos, and fun
by Words: 919 Photos: 29
- August 3rd 2012 Chinese Exam and the JD's Ordeal!
by Words: 839 Photos: 35
- August 3rd 2012 The Farewell
by Words: 324 Photos: 30
- August 1st 2012 The Badminton Tournament
by Words: 243 Photos: 0
- July 31st 2012 Shooting some B-Ball!
by Words: 194 Photos: 0
- July 30th 2012 The Beer Fest......with scorpion!
by Words: 438 Photos: 30
- July 25th 2012 Football v China
by Words: 187 Photos: 0
- July 24th 2012 Karaoke!
by Words: 171 Photos: 0
- July 23rd 2012 Urghhhh....
by Words: 203 Photos: 0
- July 22nd 2012 The Interesting Party...
by Words: 284 Photos: 0
- July 21st 2012 Visting North Korea...
by Words: 356 Photos: 1
- July 20th 2012 Weekend in Dangdong
by Words: 286 Photos: 4