Background: For centuries China stood as a leading civilization, outpacing the rest of the world in the arts and sciences, but in the 19th and early 20th centuries, the country was beset by civil unrest, major famines, military defeats, and foreign occupation. After World War II, the Communists under MAO Zedong established an autocratic socialist system that, while ensuring China's sovereignty, imposed strict controls over everyday life and cost the lives of tens of millions of people. After 1978, his successor DENG Xiaoping and other leaders focused on market-oriented economic development and by 2000 output had quadrupled. For much of the population, living standards have improved dramatically and the room for personal choice has expanded, yet political controls remain tight.
Photos from Xuzhou
No Start a Travel Diary Free Travel Blog Site
Blogs from Xuzhou
Latest Blogs from Xuzhou
- October 24th 2011 You're all Idiots...
by Words: 2092 Photos: 11
- September 1st 2009 Transition Times
by Words: 1059 Photos: 0
- October 10th 2008 Welcome to Xuzhou
by Words: 146 Photos: 58
- April 27th 2008 BBF and BBQ's
by Words: 886 Photos: 8
- March 25th 2008 This is China
by Words: 565 Photos: 9
- March 3rd 2008 Pictures of Xuzhou
by Words: 5 Photos: 18
- March 2nd 2008 Tissue comes in handy
by Words: 766 Photos: 15
- February 10th 2008 Año Nuevo Chino- Xuzhou, prov. de Jiangsu
by Words: 271 Photos: 35
- December 11th 2007 a day in xuzhou, lol!
by Words: 473 Photos: 79
- April 16th 2007 Xuzhou - Praktische informatie
by Words: 1376 Photos: 0
- April 15th 2007 Naar Xuzhou.
by Words: 7198 Photos: 36