Background: For centuries China stood as a leading civilization, outpacing the rest of the world in the arts and sciences, but in the 19th and early 20th centuries, the country was beset by civil unrest, major famines, military defeats, and foreign occupation. After World War II, the Communists under MAO Zedong established an autocratic socialist system that, while ensuring China's sovereignty, imposed strict controls over everyday life and cost the lives of tens of millions of people. After 1978, his successor DENG Xiaoping and other leaders focused on market-oriented economic development and by 2000 output had quadrupled. For much of the population, living standards have improved dramatically and the room for personal choice has expanded, yet political controls remain tight.
Photos from Lanzhou
Blogs from Lanzhou
Latest Blogs from Lanzhou
- July 30th 2011 Terug naar huis.
by Words: 417 Photos: 3
- July 29th 2011 Bezoek aan het museum van Lanzhou.
by Words: 788 Photos: 10
- July 25th 2011 Monkey Magic & the Honeymoon suite
by Words: 380 Photos: 7
- July 24th 2011 Sleeper Buses- the Chinese way.
by Words: 591 Photos: 2
- July 16th 2011 Naar en in Lanzhou.
by Words: 1099 Photos: 7
- October 21st 2010 Misty Kongtong Shan
by Words: 164 Photos: 17
- November 30th 2009 November
by Words: 485 Photos: 12
- October 31st 2009 Back To Teaching
by Words: 600 Photos: 4
- October 7th 2009 Term Begins
by Words: 314 Photos: 0
- August 31st 2009 A few weeks of holiday...
by Words: 182 Photos: 5
- August 7th 2009 Week 1 - Settling in
by Words: 265 Photos: 0
- July 28th 2009 Edinburgh, Scotland to Lanzhou, China
by Words: 210 Photos: 3
- June 15th 2009 Don't go to Lanzhou if you don't have to!
by Words: 301 Photos: 0
- June 12th 2009 Lanzhou=Kind of boring...
by Words: 358 Photos: 0
- May 25th 2009 Our drive to Minxian and night train to Xian
by Words: 1384 Photos: 9
- August 16th 2008 Lanzhou
by Words: 133 Photos: 7
- August 7th 2008 Buddha Caves at Bingling Si
by Words: 202 Photos: 12
- August 5th 2008 Heading West
by Words: 261 Photos: 3
- July 9th 2008 China - Bingling Si
by Words: 146 Photos: 3
- July 9th 2008 China - Kongtong Shan
by Words: 80 Photos: 3