Background: For centuries China stood as a leading civilization, outpacing the rest of the world in the arts and sciences, but in the 19th and early 20th centuries, the country was beset by civil unrest, major famines, military defeats, and foreign occupation. After World War II, the Communists under MAO Zedong established an autocratic socialist system that, while ensuring China's sovereignty, imposed strict controls over everyday life and cost the lives of tens of millions of people. After 1978, his successor DENG Xiaoping and other leaders focused on market-oriented economic development and by 2000 output had quadrupled. For much of the population, living standards have improved dramatically and the room for personal choice has expanded, yet political controls remain tight.
Photos from Gansu
Blogs from Gansu
Latest Blogs from Gansu
- September 1st 2013 Must not miss - Mogao Caves
by Words: 2109 Photos: 39
- July 13th 2013 Have you ever heard of Yadan Geological Park, near Dunhuang?
by Words: 576 Photos: 53
- July 13th 2013 You gotta pay to see the dunes in Dunhuang???!!!!
by Words: 618 Photos: 50
- June 30th 2013 Sunshine, wind, dust, tears, smiles: I reached YuMen
by Words: 858 Photos: 34
- June 30th 2013 Riding to Dunhuang and visiting the Mogao Caves (莫高窟)
by Words: 1047 Photos: 41
- June 27th 2013 The sun is back in Jiayuguan!
by Words: 590 Photos: 71
- June 26th 2013 Riding and hiking through Bing Gou Canyon in Gansu
by Words: 412 Photos: 60
- June 26th 2013 What the #%^&*# am I doing riding a %&*$# bike in %$&*# rainy Gansu??!!!
by Words: 1016 Photos: 10
- June 19th 2013 Danxia Geopark: unique landscape
by Words: 271 Photos: 74
- June 19th 2013 Around Ma Ti Si. A colorful ride to Guan Yin Dong:
by Words: 339 Photos: 62
- June 19th 2013 Zhangye, Gansu. A charming little city to have a break.
by Words: 135 Photos: 17
- June 15th 2013 The quiet side of Lanzhou, Gansu.
by Words: 182 Photos: 26
- June 15th 2013 Visiting Wuwei, Gansu province. Now THIS is a big Buddha!
by Words: 515 Photos: 61
- June 15th 2013 Cycling from Wuwei to Zhangye, taking the small roads.
by Words: 235 Photos: 51
- June 15th 2013 Cycling to Ma Ti Si (马蹄寺) from Shan Dan, Gansu Province. A beautiful day out!
by Words: 324 Photos: 49
- June 15th 2013 Ma Ti Si (马蹄寺), Gansu Province: a hidden paradise.
by Words: 234 Photos: 73
- June 5th 2013 Lanzhou, Gansu province: a typical Chinese city
by Words: 338 Photos: 34
- June 5th 2013 First days on the bike. Riding from Lanzhou to Xiahe, Gansu.
by Words: 2123 Photos: 85
- June 5th 2013 Xiahe and the Labrang Monastery བླ་བྲང་བཀྲ་ཤིས་འཁྱིལ་
by Words: 1510 Photos: 161
- June 5th 2013 Around Xiahe: grasslands, mountains, Tibetan culture.
by Words: 231 Photos: 186