Background: After the British seized the Cape of Good Hope area in 1806, many of the Dutch settlers (the Boers) trekked north to found their own republics. The discovery of diamonds (1867) and gold (1886) spurred wealth and immigration and intensified the subjugation of the native inhabitants. The Boers resisted British encroachments, but were defeated in the Boer War (1899-1902). The resulting Union of South Africa operated under a policy of apartheid - the separate development of the races. The 1990s brought an end to apartheid politically and ushered in black majority rule.
Photos from Mthatha
Blogs from Mthatha
Latest Blogs from Mthatha
- April 6th 2010 Back to paradise
by Words: 857 Photos: 41
- August 27th 2008 Where is Castaways?
by Words: 500 Photos: 3
- August 25th 2008 It starts with Nescafe
by Words: 552 Photos: 3
- August 12th 2008 New experiences
by Words: 329 Photos: 3
- August 9th 2008 arrived.
by Words: 378 Photos: 2
- February 18th 2008 sorry loves
by Words: 286 Photos: 0
- May 15th 2007 Transcendental "TRANCE"KEI! THE WILD COAST.
by Words: 1270 Photos: 3
- February 22nd 2007 What in the Name?!!!
by Words: 347 Photos: 0
- February 18th 2007 Just a quick reminder.....
by Words: 260 Photos: 0
- November 3rd 2006 The Wild Coast
by Words: 2006 Photos: 0
- October 15th 2006 Umtata, or Mthatha
by Words: 546 Photos: 0