Where is Castaways?


Advertisement
South Africa's flag
Africa » South Africa » Eastern Cape » Mthatha
August 27th 2008
Published: August 27th 2008
Edit Blog Post

These one month assignments (of which my first three - South Africa, Malawi, Bhutan - are) have within them the design to be essentially vacations for the volunteers. By that I mean that every weekend is free of responsibility. I like to think I'm as hard-working as the next guy, but if there is anything residency has taught me, it's that I like me some vaca. I spent my first weekend here in Mthatha, the highlight of which was watching some bizarre game show. Game shows and commercials are really a window into a foreign culture, showing you what they consume and are amused by. I don't know what they says about Double Dare and the Jared Fogel Subway campaign, but we are who we are. Regardless, after that first weekend I pledged it would also be the last trapped on the complex. The weekends here have a synonym: beaches. Not really. I mean, you couldn't say "what are you doing this beach?" But as a literary tool in this entry, it is. Trust me, it works.

A couple weeks ago I went to Port St. Johns. Pretty cool, laid back. Took a hike to the top of this place called "the Eagle's Nest." It was actually really hard to find, we walked around for a couple hours before being told the entrance to the trail was across the street from a sign that turned out to be tipped over with mud-obscured lettering. It was raining pretty hard, but worth the view. Mostly a fact of being very obvious in communities here (being tall, white, and wearing a backpack doesn't scream "local") I am predictibly approached by street vendors. The first that I encountered here were two teenage boys. The first wanted to sell me some toy helicoptors, the second a huge bag of weed. They must have a high opinion of Americans to have seen in me an equal chance of selling either one of these. I have a feeling it has something to do with Double Dare and Jared.

This past weekend I went to an awesome place called Bulungula. It is a Xhosa village primarily, but 4 years ago this guy set up an Eco-Lodge. Really cool. Compost toilets, "rocket" showers fueled with kerosene-soaked toilet paper, wind-generated electricity, solar power, etc. And it wasn't that rough, certainly better than my waterless living quarters this last week. We signed up to go fishing with this local guy named "Mr. Z." I only have a couple rules in life, and one is: if you have a chance to go fishing with anyone named Mr Z, you take it. Didn't catch any fish, but that's not really the point of fishing, is it?

I'm leaving Mthatha in a couple days. First on to Durban to get my passport sorted out, then I am planning on spending a few days in Lesotho, a mountain country embedded in South Africa. They specialize in pony rides. Funny, that is also my specialty, I assume.

Advertisement



27th August 2008

beautiful!
This is great! I'm a jealous and proud friend. These photos are incredible. Nice beard.
29th August 2008

insight
Did you happen to ask Mr. Z about why we're here and where we're going? Seems like he may have had some insight.
31st August 2008

Should I be looking for the helicopter via UPS?
7th September 2008

Lesotho
Did Mr. Z give you any NFL picks? Does he think the Jets will make the playoffs? Also, do they play Jarts in Lesotho? I bet they could be a global Jarts powerhouse. Might end up scaring the ponies, though. Not sure they want to diminish "the brand".
8th September 2008

Thimphu and BattamBang
I looked up Thimphu, Bhutan and Battambang, Cambodia on Google Earth. Thimphu seems like a small place, mountainous and probably very cold in November. It is in the Himalayan range with Mount Everest to the West. BattamBang is the second largest city in Cambodia. It has an airport and a river flowing through the city. It is very green. Jan, Feb and Mar would be cool to pleasant but after that I think it will get hot and humid. Lots of Hindu Temples and historical sites to visit. Looking forward to your next entry in the blog. Yeah, some people actually read it. Take care. Mir
8th September 2008

Roundball
Great pictures Ben. Perhpas you can work on finally color-coordinating South Africa's flag while you are there...? I noticed you have erected a makeshift basketball court, perhaps to send a message that you will be praticing abroad. The foliage is an interesting touch - does it serve as a defender, or is it just to decorate the court?
11th September 2008

Your reflections continue to make great reading... thanks and keep up the good work. I'm especially very excited to see your beard nicely developing into the survivor-type masterpiece it is sure to become! Keep it coming!!
15th September 2008

Jarts!?!
Ben, why didn't you ever tell me you were a Jarts player? Many, many Kelly family cookouts - big ass Jarts and beer, great combo. Takin' lots of heat back here for my comments, new posts please! MK

Tot: 0.076s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 12; qc: 49; dbt: 0.0492s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.2mb