Background: The regularity and richness of the annual Nile River flood, coupled with semi-isolation provided by deserts to the east and west, allowed for the development of one of the world's great civilizations. A unified kingdom arose circa 3200 B.C. and a series of dynasties ruled in Egypt for the next three millennia. The last native dynasty fell to the Persians in 341 B.C., who in turn were replaced by the Greeks, Romans, and Byzantines. It was the Arabs who introduced Islam and the Arabic language in the 7th century and who ruled for the next six centuries. A local military caste, the Mamluks took control about 1250 and continued to govern after the conquest of Egypt by the Ottoman Turks in 1517. Following the completion of the Suez Canal in 1869, Egypt became an important world transportation hub, but also fell heavily into debt. Ostensibly to protect its investments, Britain seized control of Egypt's government in 1882, but nominal allegiance to the Ottoman Empire continued until 1914. Partially independent from the UK in 1922, Egypt acquired full sovereignty following World War II. The completion of the Aswan High Dam in 1971 and the resultant Lake Nasser have altered the time-honored place of the Nile River in the agriculture and ecology of Egypt. A rapidly growing population (the largest in the Arab world), limited arable land, and dependence on the Nile all continue to overtax resources and stress society. The government has struggled to ready the economy for the new millennium through economic reform and massive investment in communications and physical infrastructure.
Photos from Cairo
Blogs from Cairo
Latest Blogs from Cairo
- April 25th 2013 City Chaos
by Words: 971 Photos: 3
- April 21st 2013 Day 15: Chillin Out in Cairo
by Words: 1034 Photos: 1
- April 20th 2013 Day 14: Touring Round Cairo
by Words: 1602 Photos: 27
- April 14th 2013 Day 8: Expat Tour starts!
by Words: 1518 Photos: 33
- April 13th 2013 Day 7: Hanging in Cairo
by Words: 716 Photos: 5
- April 6th 2013 Egypt - the land of magic
by Words: 1159 Photos: 2
- April 1st 2013 Egypt-the end of the beginning
by Words: 4012 Photos: 27
- March 13th 2013 the egypt adventure begins!
by Words: 137 Photos: 0
- February 11th 2013 On the Banks of the Nile
by Words: 919 Photos: 10
- January 16th 2013 Farewell Turkey and Hello Egypt
by Words: 821 Photos: 10
- January 7th 2013 Cairo, Egypt - July 1-12, 2010
by Words: 1747 Photos: 63
- January 2nd 2013 Off to Egypt on Saturday, February 16/2013 from Toronto
by Words: 85 Photos: 0
- December 24th 2012 I Love You and I'll Wait Forever
by Words: 709 Photos: 17
- December 19th 2012 Almost there
by Words: 483 Photos: 2
- December 17th 2012 Time’s up
by Words: 1178 Photos: 6
- December 13th 2012 Cairo, Zambia and Botswana
by Words: 1608 Photos: 24
- November 16th 2012 Don't Run! I'm Not Naked!
by Words: 1219 Photos: 7
- November 10th 2012 New friends and Dayna - Cleopatra's Resurrection
by Words: 1301 Photos: 5
- November 9th 2012 Welcome to Egypt!
by Words: 1633 Photos: 10
- November 8th 2012 Egypt Holy S#it!
by Words: 1497 Photos: 4