Cairo in slow motion...


Advertisement
Egypt's flag
Africa » Egypt » Lower Egypt » Cairo
June 7th 2022
Published: June 19th 2022
Edit Blog Post

Here we are, next stop...back to Cairo. Not a first neither for Tanya, nor for me. Imagine, last time I was here, back in February 2011, just 4 days after the famous demonstrations on the square. That was one of those moment in history, I must have been one of the very few foreigners in the capital that day. A very different time too that would not only see the fall of Mubarak, but a full blow Arab Spring...the world would change for ever. Remember the Arab World in 2010...Syria, Libya...2022 is today a very different world, including Egypt!



Well, for tourists, not much has actually really changed. So having had the chance to come on multiple stops in Egypt...this time we are taking it very the very relax way! Straight from the airport to the hotel and the swimming pool. Pyramids are next door, but 11am the best place to be is actually doing not much by the swimming pool. Go figure it out, the pyramids are only open from 8am till 4pm. That means in June, you have two bearable opening hours, that's it. Good for us that in Luxor the hours are way more intelligent!



So first day...not much on the program. We are staying at the Mena House run by Marriott. Sadly, the old palace side of the hotel is having a full and total refurbishment...just a good excuse to come back once the place re-open mid-2023. This is the closest hotel from the pyramids, and history has run deep here. Well, we are actually staying in a gorgeous renovated room but no view of the pyramids. Funny enough, the best rooms don't have a view, this has to do with the renovation. No worries, we have enough time ahead of us to enjoy them!



Next morning, 8am, on the spot, we are the first to enter the huge site. Advantage of any visit in Egypt right at the opening, the touts are not yet in place to harass you. Trust me, this is giving you some time to enjoy a way better visit. And this is valid for any site in the country! Enjoy the pictures, we had a leisurely visit followed by a superb breakfast. Next move, for a night also, the new St Regis Cairo by the Nile. The place opened few days before Covid hit. So imagine, it's brand new, and yes, gorgeous! We land a cute suite, must be around 100sqm. Love it!



Swimming pool here is smaller. The place is full of people from the Gulf States enjoying freedom they don't specially have at home, in style! Dinner at the hotel, but before this went for the fun part of the "sabrage". No Prosecco or Champagne here, import duty are simply insane. But we'll find out that Egypt is actually producing half decent bubbles...and even better rose wine. Just let's not compare with what we have at home...and don't look at the price tag neither!





Next morning, on to the Egyptian Museum. This is a big huge mess of a museum. We are all awaiting the opening of the new Grand Museum in Giza. This should happen in November, if they don't have more delays...so another excuse to be back to Cairo, sometime after all those openings or renovations. And yes, I still have to visit the White desert, so few more days in the country in the future.



I have arrived to Aswan by plane, by car...so next is a night train ride from Cairo to Aswan. We left at 7.45pm, and arrived on time in Aswan just after 9am. The price for the sleeper car is seriously inflated for foreigners, but this is the way it is. The train is clean but super old. Good news, it's only 2 per little cabin, so we had a very decent night...and a working aircon, this help!



This is a wrap for Cairo. Hope you enjoy the pictures, next, Aswan!


Additional photos below
Photos: 33, Displayed: 24


Advertisement



Tot: 0.059s; Tpl: 0.022s; cc: 8; qc: 24; dbt: 0.0254s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb