Background: Present day Benin was the site of Dahomey, a prominent West African kingdom that rose in the 15th century. The territory became a French Colony in 1872 and achieved independence on 1 August 1960, as the Republic of Benin. A succession of military governments ended in 1972 with the rise to power of Mathieu KEREKOU and the establishment of a government based on Marxist-Leninist principles. A move to representative government began in 1989. Two years later, free elections ushered in former Prime Minister Nicephore SOGLO as president, marking the first successful transfer of power in Africa from a dictatorship to a democracy. KEREKOU was returned to power by elections held in 1996 and 2001, though some irregularities were alleged.
Photos from Cotonou
Blogs from Cotonou
Latest Blogs from Cotonou
- February 13th 2013 The Road to Benin….
by Words: 591 Photos: 0
- June 5th 2012 Benin
by Words: 3809 Photos: 74
- January 16th 2012 alive!
by Words: 328 Photos: 0
- December 12th 2011 COTONOU AFRICA
by Words: 546 Photos: 0
- June 18th 2011 Turning Back on the Sexual Organ
by Words: 1939 Photos: 9
- October 20th 2010 Идиот, by Fyodor Dostoyevsky
by Words: 295 Photos: 0
- June 22nd 2010 June 16-17
by Words: 561 Photos: 0
- June 26th 2008 Cotonou, stilt villages, and lots of transport
by Words: 1514 Photos: 2
- April 26th 2008 Day Fifty-Two; Saturday, April 26 '08
by Words: 355 Photos: 0
- March 26th 2008 Words cannot describe...
by Words: 921 Photos: 13
- January 15th 2007 How to Spend a Long Weekend in Cotonou
by Words: 797 Photos: 0
- December 2nd 2006 Curling Fundraiser
by Words: 50 Photos: 62
- November 14th 2006 Gliding Through Ganvie, Benin
by Words: 1422 Photos: 9
- November 9th 2006 Cotonou
by Words: 277 Photos: 0
- August 2nd 2006 Who do Voodoo?
by Words: 2095 Photos: 53
- May 22nd 2006 looks like i'm also the first person to write from Cotonou?
by Words: 378 Photos: 0