Day Fifty-Two; Saturday, April 26 '08


Advertisement
Benin's flag
Africa » Benin » South » Cotonou
April 26th 2008
Published: May 1st 2008
Edit Blog Post

Woke up and took a bucket shower which is really gross to do inside a bathroom. We waited aroudn our hotel for quite some time before we actually started our day to visit the stilt village in Ganvie.

After our talk about visiting Nigeria subsided we got a ride to a village near the lake entrance to Ganvie. The ride on the water was crazy. We took a canoe for the four of us which was rowed by a small boy. Our sail was made out of a patched bedsheet.

Our boat constantly felt like it was sinking. We actually crashed into a fish trap and the man just assured us that there was "no problem, no problem." When we arrived in Ganvie we all sat in shock for a bit. It's like something you'd see in a Discovery Channel documentary about nomad villages. The whole town of 25,000 people is on stilts. They had hotels, markets, and even a hospital. We floated around for about an hour and then headed back to our hotel to get our luggage. We took motorcycle taxis which are pretty scary to ride during rush hour, especially with three people on each. They weave in and out of treaffic hitting nearly everything.

When we got back we exchanged money and ate. I asked the front desk of our hotel if I could use a bathroom and he led me to the community shower and told me to pee in the shower and then run the water to clean it up. Ahhh I can't believe I am constantly surviving these disgusting occurrences.

We had a cab bring us to Ouidah, Benin, a town closer to the Togo border. The night started out hanging out on the rooftop of our hotel watching shooting stars which was pretty cool. Afterwards we went out to a local bar which was a lot of fun. When it closed it was already pretty late so there were few motortaxis. One driver took us in shifts to another bar. It was already closed but the woman woke up and opened it for us.

It's not over yet...

Advertisement



Tot: 0.06s; Tpl: 0.008s; cc: 9; qc: 34; dbt: 0.0388s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb