Background: Angola has begun to enjoy the fruits of peace since the end of a 27-year civil war in 2002. Fighting between the Popular Movement for the Liberation of Angola (MPLA), led by Jose Eduardo DOS SANTOS, and the National Union for the Total Independence of Angola (UNITA), led by Jonas SAVIMBI, followed independence from Portugal in 1975. Peace seemed imminent in 1992 when Angola held national elections, but UNITA renewed fighting after being beaten by the MPLA at the polls. Up to 1.5 million lives may have been lost - and 4 million people displaced - in the quarter century of fighting. SAVIMBI's death in 2002 ended UNITA's insurgency and strengthened the MPLA's hold on power. DOS SANTOS has pledged to hold national elections in 2006.
Blogs from North
Latest Blogs from North
- July 19th 2012 Angola Part 2!
by Words: 3684 Photos: 34
- June 1st 2012 The adventures of Angola and Fortalez de Sao Miguel
by Words: 947 Photos: 4
- April 12th 2012 Angola Sights, Smells & Tastes
by Words: 160 Photos: 0
- April 10th 2012 Angolana de Australia
by Words: 738 Photos: 0
- April 10th 2012 Expolring Angola Day 1
by Words: 356 Photos: 15
- October 31st 2009 Angola-breakdowns,mines and tanks
by Words: 556 Photos: 0
- April 27th 2009 Only 97 days to go !
by Words: 178 Photos: 21
- November 26th 2007 Let the Good Times Roll!
by Words: 34 Photos: 11
- March 29th 2007 Next Chapter
by Words: 4874 Photos: 0
- September 24th 2006 Good fortune shines off Angola
by Words: 272 Photos: 12
- August 28th 2006 Insanity, lost luggage and monkeys.
by Words: 1038 Photos: 0
- August 23rd 2006 Off the beaten track: a tourist in Luanda
by Words: 4099 Photos: 19