No friends like old friends


Advertisement
Venezuela's flag
South America » Venezuela
August 19th 2008
Published: August 19th 2008
Edit Blog Post

Angels at the AngelsAngels at the AngelsAngels at the Angels

Us at Angel Falls
Welcome to my last blog entry! Yes, thats right, my travels are almost at an end....I have only a few days left in South America before heading for home at last.

But before I get too sentimental here´s the run down of my last month. My Canberra friend Andreana (aka Yarnie) arrived in Venezuela in late July and we spent 3 weeks in Venezuela. Stop Number 1 was Angel Falls, the highest waterfalls in the world. Needless to say they were very very high and very very spectacular. The 4 hour boat trip to the falls was also amazing with fantastic jungle and mountain scenery. We also visited some other falls nearby which we got to walk under, getting the massage of a lifetime while also getting absolutely soaked.

Next it was time to shoulder the old backpack and head off on another hike, this time to the tabletop mountain of Roraima in southern Venezuela. I learnt many a lesson on this trip, including how to walk uphill for 3 days straight, how to stay partially dry in dodgy leaky tents and how to shit into a bucket (more details can be provided on request). But it was all
Thems some high waterfallsThems some high waterfallsThems some high waterfalls

Angel Falls, the highest in the world. Strains your neck just thinking about it.
worthwhile when we got to the top for the amazing sight of the sandstone landscapes at the top....it was a bit like a combination of being on the moon and in a volcano at the same time and was just incredible. We also got some fantastic views at the top of the surrounding landscapes.

From there we enjoyed a 40 hour bus ride to Merida in the west of Venezuela. We planned to ride the Teleferico, the highest and longest cable car in the world, but arrived to find it had been closed down for the 3 days we would be in Merida. Really made that 40 hour bus ride seem worthwhile. But luckily we went on an excellent canyoning trip that involved being smashed around while rappelling down waterfalls, sliding all over rocks and generally getting very wet. We followed this up by visiting an ice cream shop that has the Guiness World Record for the most icecream flavours - I enjoyed the delicious flavours of garlic and salmon, yummo!

After all that it was time to head back to Colombia for another week of fun. The highlight has been a kite festival in the colonial town
Off to conquer RoraimaOff to conquer RoraimaOff to conquer Roraima

The tabletop mountain we climbed in Venezuela
of Villa de Leyva, where we watched all kinds of kite displays in the day and then sampled the local beverages in the evening. It has also been great coming back to Bogota for a few days where we visited an underground salt cathedral and got to visit my old Colombian buddy Fabian who yet again out did himself in showing us a good time in Bogota´s nightlife.

But with only a few days to go my thoughts are starting to turn to Australia and everyone back home. Despite all my amazing experiences and new friendships in South America, it turns out there are no friends like old friends and I can´t wait to see you all again. So clear your calendars and get ready for some massive catch-ups - see you soon!


Additional photos below
Photos: 8, Displayed: 8


Advertisement

On top of the worldOn top of the world
On top of the world

The view from the top of Roraima
On the moonOn the moon
On the moon

The crazy landscapes of Roraima
Garlic Icecream, delicious!Garlic Icecream, delicious!
Garlic Icecream, delicious!

In the ice cream store with the world record for the most flavours
Lets go fly a kite.....Lets go fly a kite.....
Lets go fly a kite.....

The Villa de Leyva Kite Festival
Me getting smashed by party foamMe getting smashed by party foam
Me getting smashed by party foam

The crazy things that happen at a kite festival at night


Tot: 0.1s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 6; qc: 44; dbt: 0.0647s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb