Testosterone-fueled, alcholic, chain-smoking, petrol-head heaven?


Advertisement
Venezuela's flag
South America » Venezuela
September 21st 2005
Published: September 21st 2005
Edit Blog Post

New Maternity Hospital?New Maternity Hospital?New Maternity Hospital?

Panama City. Just an office block but I reckon it's a good look for a maternity hospital, yes?
OK, maybe I was a bit harsh, yesterday so here's another view of life here...I finally went the lash and got a rent-a-wreck yesterday and today and have been all over the isla, fantastic because you can never really get lost on an island...well not easily...suffice to say I have been along EVERY road and seen every beach, millions of them..fantastic...

When I first get the car I find its almost empty of gasoline..... fcuked again.... thats why its called Hertz.....(in fact I went to City Rentals but that was too good to pass up....)..anyway, pulled into a servo and before I could say...'just 10 litres please' ..the guy had filled 'er up...bloody 28 litres....but then he told me it was 2,800 Bolivars..Ha!...depending on where you change your money thats about $1.20!!..they tell me that sometimes, if the amount is less than 1000B they just wave you thru...trying to make change is more hassle!!...this is a great place...fabulous..... I was going to say 'people' but really its the women who are fabulous...and beer at 50 cents a stubby, smokes a bit dearer here, about $1 a pack...gasoline to burn....Water and Coke tho' hey, that's real expense!

Later, out in
Worth protecting!Worth protecting!Worth protecting!

Isla de Margarita...some old fort, difficult shot to get the pirates but...
the back blocks, I was coming up behind 2 guys on bicycles, I slowed down, and as I came alongside I could see one was dinking a third guy, blood on his leg, head banged up, holding one limp wrist with the other...the other guy had what looked like some modern sculpture made from a bike strapped across his handlebars...say no more!!

Later a big hold up in the traffic...eventually got to the scene...two distraught bikini chicas and their 4WD anxiously and nervously explaining some story to the 4 cops surrounding them...on the road a cop motor bike, 2 halves of a helmet, bits of plastic and metal, big dark stain on the bitumen...the body already gone but the shit about to hit the fan...think I'll give the car back manaƱa morning!

Stopped in one of many little fishing villages in a totally picturesque little bay...sat in a open terrace restaurant looking out to sea...just across the road the fishermen sat in their boats or on the rocks picking thru their nets, lovely high bowed, open boats, quite wide, and broad flat sterns with a couple of outboards...very serviceable....the same (?) pelicans balancing precariously on the sides of
The old and the newThe old and the newThe old and the new

Isla de Margarita...some old fort over some town
vacant boats rocking on the waves, overhead the same frigate birds endlessly and effortlessly circling with their jerky style as they pick up on the slightest current of air....further out in the bay some serious fishing boats, long liners and big netters....with Rita just across the way I reckon they might be holed up for a day or three....
A massive 4WD pulls up out front and a couple of families pour out....the 2 men, big and fat go straight to a table and order beers and something...the 2 mothers round up their collective 6 or 7 kids and try to get them to sit at the other end of the table...the men pass on some of the food to the women...it seems to be just the way it is, everyone is all friendly and such but the men have this attitude that boggles the snag mind...
A scraggy little kid, maybe 8 or 9, slinks up to the entrance and tries to make himself part of the doorway...he's on the bot for anything and will try and kid us when we leave that he has been 'protecting' our cars!...he's watching the squalling, scrapping, over-indulged behaviour of the kids, about
It's all black and whiteIt's all black and whiteIt's all black and white

Isla de Margarita...Kujo and cat at my place....took a few days for Kujo to let me in!
his age, at the family table...wondering about how things might have been?...I give him 500B when I leave.
A cat walks thru the restaurant with a mouse in its mouth, I kid you not!..looking as proud as all cats do in this situation...nobody notices except for me and one of the mums, quite attractive, 30 something, 3 or 4 of the kids are hers, we catch eyes and smile, acknowledging the cat...she looks down then looks back directly at me...wondering about how things might have been?....well, I was...
Been swimming every day and copping a bit of sun so today was shade day. I must have stashed the bored shorts in the bike but luckily had the budgie smugglers in the day pack and they have been exposing a lot of flesh to the harsh light of day...aaarrrggghhhh I hear (some of you) say....not the most fashionable look but they are seen a lot here!....so today I drove all the way to the westernmost end of the isla...some really deserted beaches down here...and big mountains as well...like a mini-tasmania...and a fantastico maratime museum with all sorts of fabulous stories, treasures and photos of the isla.
OK, now to try and
Fishermen on the rocksFishermen on the rocksFishermen on the rocks

Isla de Margarita...and in their boats, mending the nets
get some photos happening...if you haven't seen them by now it obviously hasn't happened, if you have...oh god Bill, just get on with it!!
PS: It looks like it worked...hope you can download yours D...




Additional photos below
Photos: 24, Displayed: 24


Advertisement

Another perfect beach...Another perfect beach...
Another perfect beach...

Isla de Margarita....one of thousands
Classic fishing boat beached for repairs?Classic fishing boat beached for repairs?
Classic fishing boat beached for repairs?

Isla de Margarita....one of thousands
Fishermens beach shantyFishermens beach shanty
Fishermens beach shanty

Isla de Margarita...see if you can zoom in on it
Classic little fishing place Classic little fishing place
Classic little fishing place

Isla de Margarita...in its own little bay...aaahhh
Classic little fishing place Classic little fishing place
Classic little fishing place

Isla de Margarita...and another one in its own little bay...aaahhh again
Mega development and private beachMega development and private beach
Mega development and private beach

Isla de Margarita...even an 18 hole golf course....360,000 locals on the isla and 50 mil tourists in the season! Many of these resorts
Freeway GraffitiFreeway Graffiti
Freeway Graffiti

Panama City. Just an office block but I reckon it\'s a good look for a maternity hospital, yes?
Freeway GraffitiFreeway Graffiti
Freeway Graffiti

Panama City. Just an office block but I reckon it\\\'s a good look for a maternity hospital, yes?
Freeway GraffitiFreeway Graffiti
Freeway Graffiti

Panama City.
Time to move on...Time to move on...
Time to move on...

One of the many storms that kept us moving thru' Costa Rico
Boquete in the rain (and cold)Boquete in the rain (and cold)
Boquete in the rain (and cold)

Early daze in Panama, listening to Fela Kuti and the thunder
New shed, same old customs!New shed, same old customs!
New shed, same old customs!

The new customs hall, Costa Rico into Panama.....several blogs ago!
Grant in front of his new real estate ventureGrant in front of his new real estate venture
Grant in front of his new real estate venture

This is going back in time!..Puerto Viajo, Carribean coast Costa Rico
Hey, can I interest you in a new bike?Hey, can I interest you in a new bike?
Hey, can I interest you in a new bike?

With our good mate Dave, in front of his BMW dealership in San Jose, CR. (Should send this on to 3RRR)
The Lovely D and her sidekickThe Lovely D and her sidekick
The Lovely D and her sidekick

Iguana Bar, San Juan del Sur, Nicaragua...heaven!
The Lovely D in her bar/restauranteThe Lovely D in her bar/restaurante
The Lovely D in her bar/restaurante

Iguana Bar, San Juan del Sur, Nicaragua...heaven!
The Lovely D in her bar/restauranteThe Lovely D in her bar/restaurante
The Lovely D in her bar/restaurante

Iguana Bar, San Juan del Sur, Nicaragua...heaven!


Tot: 0.051s; Tpl: 0.014s; cc: 6; qc: 24; dbt: 0.0286s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb