Angel Falls


Advertisement
Published: October 13th 2007
Edit Blog Post

Our PlaneOur PlaneOur Plane

Just before my funny turn!
Our first organised trip was to Angel Falls. We had to get a mini bus to a place called Paragua (it kept the price down) & then we got in a 6 seater plane to take us to Canaima. It only took 25 minutes. Thank goodness. I felt sick as a dog afterwards! It didn´t help that the pilot read a newspaper whilst flying the plane! Everyone else lunched at Canaima, I was too busy feeling sorry for myself to eat, then into a boat for the start of our trip. We went close to the bottom of 3 waterfalls & felt the cool spray on our faces, beautiful. Then out the boat for a walk where Jurassic Park was filmed. We walked underneath one of the waterfalls. Very exhillerating, we looked like drowned rats. By this time, my sickness had completely gone. Too excited to think about feeling rough.

Back to boat where we cruised down the river with amazing views around every corner. High rock mountains called tepuis, covered by wispy cloud against a blue sky. Amazing. We arrived at our first base camp late afternoon for dinner & our first nights sleep in hammocks. Got cold early
Jurassic ParkJurassic ParkJurassic Park

Is that a dinosaur I see
hours in the morning. Miles, Chris & Tina all had upset tummys during ther night. I was the only one ok, must have been the lunch at Canaima, I say with a grin on my face!

Early rise for breakfast & a long boat ride to our second base camp at the bottom of Angel Falls. One hour climb up through the jungle & wow was it worth it. The highest water fall in the world. 16 times higher than Niagara. Stunning. Then we walked down to the bottom of the falls where we had a swim in the lagoon.

Later that evening Tina & I had a bath in the river looking up at the falls, what a moment. It will always stay with me. The boys sat on a rock a bit further down stream drinking rum & smoking cigars. During dinner we had a visit from an ant eater & then a big thunderstorm. Laying in our hammocks listening to the rain hitting the tin roof & looing out at the lightening was just brilliant.

We left the following morning back to Canaima & a flight home. This time I was ok. Thank goodness.
Angel FallsAngel FallsAngel Falls

Stunning


We spent a few nights is a lovely hostel outside of town in beautiful grounds with a menagerie of animals. I was in my element & a swimming pool was the best bit. After 3 nights of R&R we got an overnight bus to Santa Elena. Very comfortable bus but was woken up 5 times to have our bags searched for drugs & passports examined, The first time we were all fast asleep & woken up by a man in full combat gear with a gun. Everyone else was off the bus, we didn´t realise. Oops!

Booked to go on a trip on monday to the highest tepuis here called Roraima. It has been sold to me so well:- 24 hours of walking up to 2700 metres above sea level over 6 days, will get wet & cold, sleeping in a tent, carry your own rucksack, no alcohol, poo in a bucket & bring your own waste back with you. Can´t wait.

Love to you all xxx

Advertisement



13th October 2007

Sounds Fun
Well what can i say, the UK is wet but a good day if you like footy 3-0, the photos look really nice and the weather also. If you get a chance and goto GUYANA take a photo for me as my mum is from there
21st October 2007

It sounds wonderful.
WoW!! it sound's like your having the time of your lives out there, and swimming in a lagoon. Missing you both lots! Can't wait to see more photo's and how pooing in a bucket in Roraima was!! I bet you can't wait. Loads of love hugs and Kisses Michelle, Andrew, Giv, Edd, Barny, Howie, Hayden and Tilds XxXxXxXxXxX

Tot: 0.073s; Tpl: 0.012s; cc: 8; qc: 47; dbt: 0.044s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb