Slow learner


Advertisement
Venezuela's flag
South America » Venezuela » Capital » Caracas
January 11th 2009
Published: January 11th 2009
Edit Blog Post

HI all,
Now that I´ve succeeded in sending some photos no matter how awful or disorganised, I can at least see how it´s done and a better job will be made of it on Wednesday when I am out at the airport, heading for Cuba.
Ignore the photo labels, don't know how to delete or change them. Maybe an instruction on this would be helpful, Richard?
This is Sunday and we are all having a rest. Tomorrow and Tuesday will be busy again. I have sneaked off from my comrades to a known entity: the shopping mall, where everything can be found in a relatively few steps. What can I say? A faint hearted socialist.
We live in an area called Plaza Venezuela, a bit like aK Road only several times larger. Full of life, loads of amplified singing in cafes at night. The cafes are quite close together, and the singers seem to have to compete with each other.
Sarah, is Al on the blog list? It would be good to hear his comments...by the way, I hope Jed is all better!
I have recovered form my flu which turned out to be only a bad cold, but I felt terrible. My room mate got it from me but she brushed it off, hasn't resorted to the bucket loads of drugs I did. Obviously a real revolutionary.
You can buy antibiotics over the counter (of course I did!) but there´s no toilet paper in the shops. You get round this by stealing all the serviettes when you sit down for a meal.
Hi Barb! Good to hear from you, but I can't remember your question and dare not try to go back for it before publishing this.
I'm going to enjoy my few hours in the heart of capitalism, perhaps even have a cup of te, negro, calliente.....
Peter, If you are checking this out, We've asked about where we might find Drama in communities, street and schools, but have not found anything yet.
There have been some great talks given to us (they tend to be 2-3 hour long talks rather than discussions), but I will have to organise my material now that I am feeling better, so that I can send some sensible info. One place we went to - the National Assembley (twice) - the representatives talked to us in a large VERY air conditioned meeting room. We all froze, and even the secretaries had their jackets on and hoods up. Not sure what that was about. Maybe Gringos smell.
Petrol, for Venezuelans is ridiculously cheap, forget the details, will send. Think equal to $3 to fill up.
There's a lot going on re the referendum, but the Chavez rally we heard about the other day seems not to be happening after all.








Advertisement



11th January 2009

Blogalistic!
Hi Ma, Brilliant that we are finally getting some information from you. Did you hear about the earthquake in Costa Rica? 6.1 on the richter scale (sp?) Btw, you know you are suppossed to make your location where you are in the world, not your home don't you? It's not like your blogs are coming from Parnell as you having been doing.
13th January 2009

Clever Mama
Lots of good stuff there Mama, thanks. Jed has been back in hospital, but is home and okay. You know how she got in a tiny fight and had a weeny scratch and was on antibiotics? They didn't work and it got worse and turned into an abscess, so she had to get sedated and get it sort of cut open and a drain put in her side (about 3 inches long, imagine a pencil sticking out both ends) and she's got one of those cone collars so she doesn't bite it. Poor Jed. Gets the drain out tomorrow and then she can start healing properly.

Tot: 0.119s; Tpl: 0.009s; cc: 9; qc: 46; dbt: 0.0844s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb