Uruguay...and a visitor


Advertisement
Published: April 24th 2005
Edit Blog Post

Laurie arrived on the 16th to visit for a week and we had a wonderful time! We spent the first few days in Buenos Aires, went to Uruguay (Colonia, Monevideo and Punta Del Este) for 3 days, and then returned to Buenos Aires for the rest of the trip. We put quite a few miles on our shoes and a few pounds in our stomach's walking throughout the city and trying out some cool trendy restaurants (to include at least one steak meal per day it seemed). Laurie took me out to dinner for my birthday at one of the most famous Steak restaurants in the world (Cabaña Las Lilas) which was amazing...great food and excellent service (thanks again Laurie :-)) We also went out to a great tango show which was really cool, and eye opening. We never realized how difficult and intricate the Tango was; apparently you can get a degree in Tango here, the city where it was invented. We attempted a few steps of our own but I think we may need a few more classes.
Uruguay was really nice, only a three hour ferry from Buenos Aires with friendly people and a great beaches. Apparently it's
Colonia del Sacramento, UruguayColonia del Sacramento, UruguayColonia del Sacramento, Uruguay

Entrance to the oldest city in Uruguay
more of a summer destination, but also nice now (in the fall). Colonia is the oldest city in Uruguay and has some beautiful cobble stone streets and colorful buildings. We rented a hot rod (scooter that sounded like it was going to fall apart) and saw the little town in about 4 hours.
We then took a 2 hour bus to Montevideo and checked into a really cool hostel (Red Hostel) in the city center. The city was fairly big, but seemed kind of quiet at night (not sure if it was b/c it wasn't the weekend or if this was the norm). Montevideo was a kind of like a small version of Buenos Aires with an old part of town, busy business district, and a port and small beach on the dirty River Plate.
Punta Del Este was another two hour bus ride east and was the most beautiful of them all. It was a peninsula with the Brown River Plate on one side and the bluer Atlantic Ocean on the other side. It definitely looked as though it was a summer destination, with some oceanfront apartment buildings already boarded up for the winter. The miles of soft sand beaches were beautiful and the houses were of all types, many with thatched roofs and cool concrete architecture. We also found a scooter to rent here to see the town and beaches. Back to Montevieo for the night and then back to my apartment in Buenos Aires on the three hour ferry.



Additional photos below
Photos: 12, Displayed: 12


Advertisement

Punta del este, UruguayPunta del este, Uruguay
Punta del este, Uruguay

me on the hot rod wearing a cool helmet that says "winner"
Punta del EstePunta del Este
Punta del Este

Laurie in front of the famous "el Mano" landmark
Punta del EstePunta del Este
Punta del Este

the sun hiding behind some palm trees
Cabaña Las LilasCabaña Las Lilas
Cabaña Las Lilas

Birthday Steak dinner in Buenos Aires....mmmmm
BirthdayBirthday
Birthday

met up with some other friends for a surprise birthday cake
Tango showTango show
Tango show

dinner at the tango show, Buenos Aires
TangoTango
Tango

tango show, Buenos Aires
TangoTango
Tango

great picture at the end of the tango show
my new Spanish namemy new Spanish name
my new Spanish name

Taxi service included at the Tango show. The Argentinians have a tough time pronouncing "Scott" and think I'm saying my name is "Oscar"...perfect example here.


Tot: 0.091s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 6; qc: 44; dbt: 0.0523s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb