Day 13


Advertisement
Peru's flag
South America » Peru
July 14th 2012
Published: July 14th 2012
Edit Blog Post

I woke at 4.30am to get to Macchu Picchu, one of the seven wonders of the world. This incredible Inca site was built by the Inca's in the 1500's, but was not discovered until 1911 by the American archaeological explorer Haram Bingam, accidentally. The photos of this place do not do it any justice. The first view I got of it was overwhelming. Here I also met up with dad who I had not seen for a few days and during the two hour tour or Macchu Picchu we struggled to listen as we kept talking trying to catch up on everything. The Macchu Picchu tour was run by Jefferson, another Intrepid guide who is quite a character and very cheeky, and was apparently lots of fun as a guide on the Inca Trail dad said. Walking up and down Macchu Picchu was exhausting, but fun exploring for a few hours and learning about all of its history. The exquisite architecture of the massive Inca stone structures, the formidable backdrop of the Andes mountain range, and the Urubamba River winding far below (the one I was overlooking with my wine) have made Macchu Picchu the iconic symbol of Peru. This mystical city is a must see and is another experience ticked off my long bucket list! Dad and I went back down to the small town of Aguas Calientes on the Urumbamba river for a gourmet trout lunch then spent 3-4 hours travelling by train and bus back to Cusco. We had a quick meal at Greens organics overlooking the stunning Cusco at night then slept very well.

Advertisement



Tot: 0.043s; Tpl: 0.016s; cc: 7; qc: 22; dbt: 0.0187s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1018.6kb