Day 7


Advertisement
Peru's flag
South America » Peru
July 7th 2012
Published: July 7th 2012
Edit Blog Post

By 6am this morning we had our hiking gear and gum boots on ready to explore and learn about the Amazon. After a short walk we arrived at a canopy tower which we climbed to view the jungle from above. The view was incredible and through some binoculars we were able to see toucans and other beautifully coloured birds. The guides are so knowledgeable and I tried to soak as much in as possible. We continued walking for another hour, on the way spotting a tarantula and learning about the flora eg. Brazil nut trees. Next we hiked through mud to the 'lago' (lake) where we immediately spotted four otters. Francesco our guide was making a huge fuss and was ensuring we were all getting pictures. He then explained he has been taking people to this lake for seven years and had only seen the five otters that live in the lake twice before, so we were very lucky. Next we paddled a wooden boat across the lake where we hiked some more and saw enormous trees that looked identical to the ones in Avatar. This whole place actually sounds and looks like the scenery in Avatar. Dad was game enough to climb the tree and did a Tarzan swing holding onto the trees natural wooden but slightly elastic rope. Freshly made banana chips and fresh juice was awaiting us back at the lodge for morning tea and then after a nap in the hammock I indulged in an 'intense jungle massage' using medicinal oils from the jungle plants and then an amazing foot reflexology massage. I thought this indulgence was deserved after the 11km hike earlier. This place has made me feel rejuvenated and I feel ready to tackle the Inca Trail in a few days.

Advertisement



Tot: 0.334s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 7; qc: 48; dbt: 0.0344s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb