Memories from Peru


Advertisement
Peru's flag
South America » Peru
August 25th 2011
Published: September 2nd 2011
Edit Blog Post

Easter Sunday dinner on arrival in Piura; fillet steak with red wine risotto, red onions and asparagus - could hardly get off my seat afterwards!

Cruising along the Pan-American highway between Piura and Chiclayo with nothing but desert on either side and the Pan-Americana stretching out ahead of us.

A sunny morning in the bustling main square in Chiclayo accompanied by the sounds of the trumpeting busker and the old gents debating politics and the impending elections.

Watching the sun go down in Huanchaco and taking a midnight stroll along the beach with the two Frenchman and the American lass.

The old woman at the breakfast cafe letting me leave without paying and telling me to come back when I had change...and who said trustworthiness was dead!

Dipping my feet in the icy cold water of Laguna Churup after an arduous trek, and wallowing in the tranquility with James, Darragh & Jess.

Reaching the 1st camp on our Santa Cruz trek after which was by far our toughest day.

Meeting up with Jess and her group (including the Swiss couple, Canadian Bryan and an altitude sick Korean) at camp on the second night of our trek. James bringing tea-bags was a masterstroke!

Reaching the summit at Punta Union on Day 3, spectacular views and having a well earned game of "rock-off" only to later discover that the rocks we were aiming for were sacred offerings to Mother Earth! Ignorance is bliss?

Pisco Sour in the main square with Jess (Danger), Darragh (Adventure Extreme) and James (Buffalo Dragon) on our return to Huaraz.

Arrival at dawn in Lima and sitting in the main square watching the city slowly awake.

Beatles tribute concert on the beach in Lima to celebrate the imminent arrival of Paul McCartney...some fantastic covers from some great Peruvian artists.

Visiting St Martin's tomb and laying my Granda's rosary beads on the tomb of his favourite saint.

Meeting Derrick and Jordan at the Apu Wasi hostel in Cusco and having a good old sing song with them, two limeños and their madrileño friend in a Cusco bar later that night..

The spectacular scenery and great banter on the Inca trek to Macchu Picchu. Great bunch of people in our tour group: Senan (really clicked with the lad from Galway and the craic was great from beginning to end)
Franz (the 60-something Bavarian who tore up the terrain like a sprightly 20 year-old!)
the aforementioned Canadians Derrick and Jordan (smashin' fellas)
Hiro (super chilled, super nice Japanese / Canadian who was my saving grace after the camera incident!
Julio (mucho poopoo) Alex (aka Supermom) and little Kenya together made up a nice little family from Patagonia
Jules (from San Francisco)
and the two plastic Californians Renee and Courteney...easy on the eye but you'd get better conversation from a fruit scone!
And of course our guide Marco.

Playing "shitheads" at camp with Senan, Jules, Ruth, Ollie and Carine...a laugh a minute!

Teaching the tour group the "Dashing White Sergeant" at camp on the 3rd night of our trek.

Walking through the 4am mist in Aguas Calientes on the way up to Macchu Picchu...trying to imagine the wonder that awaited me just a few hundred metres above!

Sitting at the guardhouse at Macchu Picchu, patiently awaiting the cloud to lift, and having a little moment to myself on the realisation that I'd achieved a lifelong ambition...a real surge of energy I felt.

Fun times in Cusco after the Macchu Picchu trek, many a fun night with Alexis and Aidan from Ireland, the two Venetians Giovanna and Chiara. Not to mention my first taste of Alpaca steak and Yucca croquettes...absolutely scrumptious!

Colca Cañon trek with French Sebastien, the Danish couple and the Catalan and Quebecoise.

Afternoons and evenings in the squares and cafes of Arequipa soaking up the atmosphere and the crema de maiz!

Deciding to get off the beaten track and and visit the "ramshackle" fishing village of Chala only to discover that "ramshackle" was a very generous adjective!

Election fever in Nazca!

Pisco sin Fronteras!
Evening chats round the camp fire with Mark and Macca in the early days...never knew I liked politics so much!
Early days on the Jesus Dirtbag project having a laugh a minute with Stefan, Gabby and Asa.
First weekend in Huacachina; camp fire, balloons and Leanne's scarf!
First PSF party night with German Stefan making an incredible entrance with his Tuc-Tuc, then on to Mystika for a dance.
Starting off on Jesus Bathrooms and having to re-dig the trenches in the hot, hot sun! I remember one guy stopping in his car and watching us with a puzzled look on his face as if to say, "And these guys are volunteering for this priveledge!"
Days walking home from site in Esperanza; getting waves and shouts from the locals, covered in dirt, cement and weary...but loving every minute!
Home cooked lunches in the little school house in Esperanza then on to the shop for Sublime and chupetins!
The feeling when the local kids would shout my name, frantically waving with the biggest smiles on their faces!
Barbecued pigeon on the beach with Paul and friends, Mark, Phil, Noel, Marcela, Goodie and Melissa.
Casino night beginners table and an early knock-out which only meant one thing...sore head the next morning!
Beach time in Paracas - olives, football, frisbee and great company.
Coffee and dessert in Pisco with my favourite Montana girl!
Sandboarding in Huacachina - taking a 6 sumersault tumble and landing on my face. Cruising through the dunes in the buggy with larger than life Buddha, laughing hysterically.
Football with Joe, Harold, Martin, Johnny, Yuliya and the Belfast Boys.
Fabiola - a smile as wide as the Colca Canyon and Passion Fruit Pie to die for!
Ceilidh night - Dashing White Sergeants and Strip the Willow, dancing in the kitchen with Alice, Ciara and Niall after our homemade shortbread went down a treat!
Copa America semi-final day at As D'Oro: Great games, great company with Pete, Joe, Argentinian Andy, Yuliya, Martin and Aussie Andy with his bloodshot eyes...what a laugh!
4 year-old Pepe telling me, "You're a liar, I can see it in your face!" And when his mum told him to apologise he couldn't remember what he had done.
Doing the YMCA during bricklaying and Rob popping through the roof at precisely the right moment for the chorus.
Exchanging golf stories with Carson as we watched Darren Clarke play up the 18th to take The Open title.
Sampling the restaurants of Pisco, Paracas, Nazca and Ica with Claire.
Final Saturday at Jesus Bathrooms, photos and beers with all the happy locals and then out for pizza with the team to celebrate...what a team!
Sunday tidy up with Claire at Jesus Bathrooms and an emotional farewell to the locals.
A special handshake with Stefan after both our leaving speaches and the kind words Pete had for the two of us.
Monday morning coffee at Siete Maravillas with the other wonder!

Randomly meeting Wren and Gabby in Arequipa for a final farewell.

Arequipa to Puno bus ride - spectacular Altiplano scenery and good company in the form of the 3 Chiclanos on their way to Buenos Aires in search of work.

First glimpse of Lake Titicaca...finally made it!


Advertisement



Tot: 0.059s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 12; qc: 41; dbt: 0.0323s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 2; ; mem: 1.1mb