Just Arrived


Advertisement
Peru's flag
South America » Peru
September 20th 2010
Published: September 20th 2010
Edit Blog Post

Buenos Dias Amigos

First of all a big thanks to everyone for a fabtastic weekend of leaving drinks prior to our departure!!! Mucho appreciated!

So after 19 hrs in transit we arrived at Lima airport (minor blip no taxi waiting for us as planned, oh and no accomadation either)....never mind all got sorted.
So after a quick check out of the roof top bar with hit the hay.

Plan for day 1....make a plan (it appears every other backpacker had a pre planned route...oops). So after a quick planning session over breakfast in the local cafe we then hit the sea front to see the pacfic ocean, on returing to our hostel there appeared to be a group outting to a locals sea food resturant (ate raw fish on day 1....still alive, oh it was meant to be raw by the way!), awesome food and good company! After getting a taxi there (oh we crashed....but still alive) the 12 of us decided to walk back along the sea front so got to see a bit of Lima. In the eveing the 12 of us hit the roof top bar as well as hitting the Pisco Sours (local drink, v alcoholic) good night was had!

Day 2....Another breakfast down the cafe, then headed to the bus station for our 5 hr bus ride to Ica. Buses very weird out here.....reclinable seats, TV, WiFi, blanket, pillow and meals but most prob only a good thing considering the hours of bus journeys we have ahead. Arrived in Ica and god a taxi to Huacachina where we checked into a Hostal with a pool (taxi man suggested it so felt rude not to)

Day 3, Woke up to amazing weather (yes the pool payed off!) so spent the morning by the pool and in hammocks (we're adjusting well to this traveling malarky). In the afternoon went on a sand dune buggy and sand boarding tour. The buggy arrived looking like something out of Avatar and off we went. O MY GOD these were no little sand dunes and the buggy didnt half shift and to say our vocal cords reached heights they had never seen before is an understatement......but little did we know that was nothing compared to the sand boarding, throwing ourselfs head first or attemting snowboard esque stance down slopes olympic skiiers would not attempt (or so it felt)...but still alive. Then headed in local taxi (still alive) to bus station only to find out after waiting for an hour we were at the wrong bus station so a quick dash across town was needed but made it in good time, 12 hours later we arrived in Arequipa.

Day 4, Wondered around Arequipa and found the Plaza and market (ate market food....still alive) and booked our tour to the Colca Caynon and hot springs. Found another roof top bar, had some pizza in local resturant and had an early night.

Day 5, Picked up by mini van and 15 of us and headed off towards Chivay, little did we know it was via a mountain reaching 4900m, only started to sink in as heads going very dizzy, eye sight going and feeling sleepy (apparently normal at this altitude)....still alive. Got to Chivay and had a buffet lunch (alpacha and other delights). After booking into our hostel we then all hit the hot springs, still didnt feel great from the altitude so had to take it easy.

Day 6, 5.30 start to head to the Cola Caynon to try and get a glimpse of the Condors, we were very lucky as three of them put on quite a show (pics to prove it). Cant begin to explain how amazing the Canyon was....pictures just dont do it justice. Good two days spent on the tour, defo recommend it! Now currently waiting to head off to the bus station for another short 10hr over night journey to Cusco, atleast conqered altitude already! Will keep you all updated. Jo and Ali xxx


Additional photos below
Photos: 64, Displayed: 24


Advertisement



22nd September 2010

Wow..... such adventures already and bonus........ you're still alive!!
24th September 2010
DSCF7174

Wow....
looking good girlies, am very jealous! x

Tot: 0.27s; Tpl: 0.014s; cc: 8; qc: 49; dbt: 0.0373s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb