Hiking in the Cordillera Blanca


Advertisement
Peru's flag
South America » Peru
September 11th 2008
Published: September 19th 2008
Edit Blog Post

This content requires Flash
To view this content, JavaScript must be enabled, and you need the latest version of the Adobe Flash Player.
Download the free Flash Player now!
 Video Playlist:

1: Arrival at Laguna 69 52 secs
Wow what an amazing place. This has got to be one of the most beautiful places on the planet. It is so stunning here combined with a great hotel in Huaraz we have decided to kick back for a bit after what feels likes days on the road...

Everywhere you look you are surrounded by beauty, there are 22 peaks over 6000m in this area alone and the snowcapped mountains are a fantastic sight.

We decided to do some hiking, firstly a pretty short hike on the edge of Huaraz which walked us through a few tiny little peruvian villages and past some ruins.

However the fun came the next day as we decided to do a day hike up to Laguna 69 which is within the stunning Parque Nacional Huascaran. The laguna is up at an altitude of about 4600m. The hike started off with us both getting lost - again no map or guide for Magnus and San. We realised after about 30mins that as we were not acending somthing must be up and after a bit of backtracking found our way back on the right path. The hike was pretty stunning, started off flat through a mossy medow - slightly scary with a few wild bulls roaming around. The first acent was ok, a bit tiring but nothing crazy past a small laguna and out into another open space. However the last climb seemed to go on forever and took the wind out of both of us. Absolutely exhausting climb to the top, probably due to the altitude. However was just amazing when on the horizon we saw a bright turquoise laguna peeking out at us. It was just gorgeous sitting by this clear, bright laguna being surronded by snowy peaks and listening to the cracking of ice on the top of the mountains. So pretty and calm with hardly anyone else around at all. The hike down took just as long but much easier. A wee bit of altitude sickness for San in the evening but nothing that a nice cup of tea and bed wouldnt sort out.

The next hike we did was quite different, much gentler, much lower altitude at about 3500-4000m and also much flatter. This hike was really pretty, a bit of a climb at the start and then following a stream through the Ortiz pass with waterfalls and woodland scenery. During our stop for picnic lunch we were rudely interrupted by a wild bull and both had to scarper pretty quick!!







Additional photos below
Photos: 20, Displayed: 20


Advertisement



Tot: 0.051s; Tpl: 0.012s; cc: 10; qc: 25; dbt: 0.0275s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1mb