mountains experts


Advertisement
Peru's flag
South America » Peru
November 3rd 2005
Published: November 3rd 2005
Edit Blog Post

On our second trip to Frías we were pretty much ready with what to expect, what medicines to take, and how to run our clinic becuase we had done it twice before. We were met with a few challenges however, one being that we were holding our clinic in one that they were using at the same time, so there were overlapping people, we never knew who was next and just didn´t really have the space we needed. Another huge challeng was the amount of patients we were to see. At first on the list there were 150 patients we needed to see in a day and a half - well if that sounds like a lot we ended up seeing over 100 more and saw 263 people in a day and a half. It was insanity. And the people were so pushy, a lot of them didnt need to see a doctor, but becuase the americans were there they really wanted to be seen and would make up illnesses. We would know because they would look at the medicine that the person got in front of them and then complain of the same thing.
It was hard at times because some things we just could not treat because we only had a small supply of medicine and very little equiptment, so it was frustrating when you just couldn´t do anything for the people other than tell them what was wrong with them and to drink more water, which i had to tell to everyone. One thing that was really sad was there was when there were people that needed surgery and you would tell them we´ll put you on a list for when the next group of doctors come, but even then they´re not guaranteed to be picked for surgery and not to mention have to live with the pain for probably a year until another group of doctors get there becuase they cant afford to have the surgery done. There was one women who had fibroid tumors in her stomach. The doctor asked me what i thought it was when he showed me her belly, and i thought she was prgenant they were that big!
One amazing thing about being in the middle of nowhere is that there is no electricity. No electricity at night in the mountains means you are going to be able to see the most beautiful night sky you have ever seen in your entire life. It was as if you could touch the stars. We could clearly see the milky way, and shooting stars, and planets, and just about every constilation in the southern hemisphere you could possibly imagine. It was absolutely beautiful. You walk around streets at night with flashlights or candles, or if your a local person you just manage without anyhting because you´re so used to the darkness. And when we would go back to our ¨hotel¨ at night we would be given candles to walk up to our rooms with. it was like we were in the 1700´s. We also saw the most beautiful mass. it was so intimate and friendly, and it was at night so it was all lit up with candles. It was very nice.
So when we got back from the mountains we also get to go and watch the surgeries that they were doing. So i got to see a hyterectomy and a prostate surgery which was pretty unbelievable. Ker was in the surgery room the whole 2 weeks so she got to see a lot more than me, but just to see that was incredible.
Now I hate to say it, but i have officially lost the sickness contest (if we dont count jonathan´s foot that is) After frías, all but one of us got sick - throwing up and going to the bathroom all the time- not too much fun, but its pretty unbelievable that it took me this long to get sick so ím proud of myself for that. Also, impressively going up and down the mountains and around these turns that you think you´re never going to make i only got car sick once, and just nauseous. So there you have it, i lose.
As for now, we are still trying to put the finishing touches on what we are going to be doing for ministry. The past week everything has been closed for celebrations for día de los muertos and things such as that nature where they all go to the cemetary and light candles until morning celebrating their loved ones that have passed away. The cemetary is so different from ours. All the coffins are stacked one on top fo the other in these cement walls that hold all of them, so you see people climbing up the walls to put candles and flowers on their loved ones grave.
Surprising as it is, ker and i have actually made friends with 4 augustinian volunteers that are here and 3 peruvians who are quite wonderful and have been taking us out. 2 of the peruvian girls that we are friends with jesseña and carina were the ones to show us around the cemetary and explain what everything means to us.
Well I guess you are all cought up on our (well at least my) lives down south of the equator.

Advertisement



Tot: 0.098s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 8; qc: 61; dbt: 0.0569s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb