Getting in the swing of things


Advertisement
Peru's flag
South America » Peru
October 31st 2005
Published: October 31st 2005
Edit Blog Post

Part 3...
To give you a better picture of life in Chulucanas, we feel like perhaps we should describe the night time sounds here. As darkness settles in, the streets are alive with religious processions--people marching with huge floats and statues of Jesus. these processions are also accompanied by fireworks, except that theyre not so much pretty as just loud. we thought we were being bombed our first night here. then, around midnight the animal orgy begins. it usually starts with a donkey making the most ungodly sound weve ever heard, then at least 6 crazy barking dogs join the chorus, which is completed with the lovely cockadoodle doo of the rooster that lives nearby. (yeah, i thought roosters only made that noise in the morning, but its actually ALL through the night!) Oh and of course, there is consistent honking throughout the entire day by the mototaxis (which is how we get around here, theyre motorcycles with a little two seater attached to the back) and they communicate either that theyre willing to give you a ride or get out of my way im going to run you over through the use of many honks.
oh and there is a 15 year old boy yes FIFTEEN who is actively persuing me (kerry). how ridiculous is that? he keeps trying to get me to go out in a mototaxi with him, or to get together just to talk...im definitely gonna have to face him soon and be like, look kid, i could be your teacher right now, this is ILLEGAL, so its not gonna happen.
We´re looking into work possibilites. Ker doing speech therapy with deaf kids and Julie doing physical therapy with kids as well as doing self esteem talks with women every once and a while. All of this is still being worked out however and with the doctors coming soon we have to put things on hold for a little while. We´ll update you soon on how things go with the doctors.
love, kerry and jules


Advertisement



Tot: 0.161s; Tpl: 0.009s; cc: 6; qc: 59; dbt: 0.1195s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb