Trujillo


Advertisement
Peru's flag
South America » Peru » Trujillo
February 1st 2011
Published: February 1st 2011
Edit Blog Post

Trujillo

We are leaving but have yet to go see Trujillo, the 3rd biggest city in Peru. The short journey from Haunchaco started with a collectivo (Hiace van) with a record 21 people on board (I now count every time I board one of these yokes and am constantly amused/horrified at how many people can be sardined into one of these tin cans) One very tall young man (unusual for latinos) was crammed into the aisle bent double in the middle, his head near John's knees and his backside in Dustin's face, Had I'd been able to move, it would have made an interesting photo.

We walked a few blocks after disembarking and came into the beautiful Plaza de Armas, I read recently that the reason that each town has one of these here in South America is because when the Spanish were rebuilding these towns/cities after their invasion they held all the weapons in the Plazas so that in the event of an attack the people could merge here and fight from the centre of the town out through the deliberately grid zoned streets.

Trujillo's Plaza is beautiful, the building are colonial and painted in bright colours including the impressive University of Trujillo and a wonderfully over the top statue in the centre dedicated to the heroes of the war of independence.

The buildings windows are covered with a lattice wrought iron bars, intricate and ever so pretty.

Trujillo had an indigenous community for many years but the Spanish conquest or Francisco Pizarro is famed to be the founder of the city as from here he laid his unslaught of the Inka people.

In 1619 the city was completely destroyed by a massive earthquake, It is also known as the city of eternal spring because of its dry mild climate all year round.

Now a modern city with malls and reputable colleges it is surrounded by the oldest adobe structures in the Americas, Worth a visit if not just to admire the plaza.


Additional photos below
Photos: 14, Displayed: 14


Advertisement



Tot: 0.067s; Tpl: 0.022s; cc: 6; qc: 24; dbt: 0.0323s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1mb