Going to Bolivia


Advertisement
Peru's flag
South America » Peru » Puno
November 17th 2005
Published: November 17th 2005
Edit Blog Post

Sun. I2th. Nov. PUNO.
Hotel & town not up to our usual standard, but we are only here to do the islands on Lake Titicaca. We were bused down to the harbour where we boarded a launch with 20 other people. We went onto the top deck and had great views of the reeds. 3/4 hour later the launch berthed alongside the floating island, and as we jumped off you could feel the movement of the reeds on the water. Their teepees are made of reeds and the locals cook and carry on a normal life on this floating island. Even the canoe was constructed with reeds, and fools that we are, we trusted it to take us to the other Uros island. -- Brilliant!
Back on the normal boat and a pleasant cruise to Tequili island where we climbed 500 steps to the restaurant. We were very fortunate to witness a local election taking place, with all the people in national dress, congregated in the square. They sat around the edge in complete silence, but we were told it was OK to move around and take photographs. Felt a tad intrusive.
The views from the top were amazing - beatiful blue waters that go on forever. How can a lake be this big! Back to the boat to pick up more travelling tips - nice group of people,

Mon. La Paz.
Farewell Peru, on to Bolivia. 3 hour drive on a good bus, with spectacular views of Lake Titicaca. The border crossing was straight forward, just queuing up in the blazing sun at 2 separate offices to have the passports stamped.
We changed buses in Copacabana, and after lunch, took a short drive to the lake side where we disembarked. The driver then took the bus onto a rickety barge and sets off accross the lake with all our worldly goods. We figure out that we need to buy a motor boat ticket to follow it, bare in mind no-one tells you anything, and so we did and it was great. Super photos.
There have been some spectacular views on this trip but nothing prepares you for your first sighting of La Paz as you come over the mountain range. It spreads beneath you for as far as the eye could see, with ice-capped mountains as a back-drop. It took the bus forever to drop down to the centre and then you would not believe the mayhem with the traffic. How the place isnt littered with dead bodies is beyond us.
A crowd of us, Canadians, Kiwis etc. set off for a recommended place to stay, but it was full. No problem getting this far - it was down hill, but to cart the bags back up a 25% incline was beyond us, so I bag-watched while Jim found a good hotel about 2 mins. away. Believe it or not, we still had to get a taxi there. How people live here, day after day is amazing.

Tues.
Lazy day, Hah, just going up and down vertical cobbled streets, getting our bearings and avoiding the traffic. We had been warned that it was a risky place, but we think it has a nice feel about it.

Wed.
Joined an organised trip to Chacaltaya mountain and Moon Valley. The drive up the mountain was along single tracks with shear drops to the valley. Scary!
To help combat altitude sickness, we were given a drink of coca tea at the summit. This is an infusion of leaves in boiling water and if sugar is added, its not too bad at all. We have been fortunate in not suffering from altitude sickness but Jim puts it down to drinking wine, rather than tea! We decided to stay in the restauant and look at the snow while the other fools went climbing in it. At 6400 metres, ours was the more sensible option!
Got talking to a young couple who had cycled up the mountain, unbelievable!
A bus tour around the city ended with a trip to Moon Valley. You were right, Graeme, it is truly amazing! A cross maybe between the Grand Canyon and the moon surface. The vertical erosion of the sandstone is truly phenomenal. Our guide led us around really narrow pathways and steps and over narrow bridges, with shear drops either side. Well worth going to see providing you have good tablets for any heart condition!
Almost up to date blog, thank heavens. Next one should be from Chile.
Keep your comments coming, they are much appreciated.
Happy Wedding Day, Lisa and Steven, sorry we cant be there with you.

Advertisement



Tot: 0.101s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 13; qc: 50; dbt: 0.0526s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb