Reed all about it


Advertisement
Peru's flag
South America » Peru » Puno
May 16th 2007
Published: May 16th 2007
Edit Blog Post

Funerary Towers at SillistaniFunerary Towers at SillistaniFunerary Towers at Sillistani

The Incas made the Chilpa tombs of a pile of rocks look pretty by adding the massive blocks to the outside. Sort of like Changing Rooms but without Handy Andy.
Amigos.

It is time to tell you about our trip to the Floating Islands on Lake Titicaca (and the trip since La Paz).

You'll be pleased to hear that we left La Paz and that Natalie is feeling much better after her run in with Bolivi-belly.

We left La Paz on Sunday and took a three hour bus journey to Copacabana (which happens to be the hotest spot North of Havana, don't you know). No big nosed crooners here though...only a pretty cathedral and Lake Titicaca.

We explored the town the first day and on the second took a ferry boat to the Isla del Sol. It is said that this island is the home of the Inca Sun God. And he certainly shone for our trip with brilliant sunshine. In fact, we've had nothing but brilliant sunshine for the past four or five days.

Great views of Lake Titicaca which is the world's highest navigable lake and of the mountains that surround La Paz.

Yesterday we made a dash for the border and crossed into Peru, a pretty painless experience compared to some other border crossings. The trip to Puno (the main city
The School of Floating Islands...The School of Floating Islands...The School of Floating Islands...

...where we learnt all about it.
of Peru on Lake Titicaca) was pretty short and pretty pretty. Once in Puno we explored the area near our hotel and I (Jon) visited the ancient funerary towers at Sillistani. They are a old cemetary for former Inca and Chilpan dignitaries. These structures reach up to 12 metres and used to house the remains of former Inca rulers until the Spannish came in the 1500s and destroyed them looking for gold and silver. Still, some remain and it is a great spot overlooking a neighbouring lake.

Today, we took a tour to the Floating Islands - made entirely out of reeds (geddit now...it's not my bad spelling in the title). The community of 1,000 people have been floating on the lake for about 500 years. The islands are made out of reeds that slowly rot from underneath, replaced by new layers laid on the top. The trip was fairly touristy (which is the main source of income for these people) but really cool. We got a trip on a reed boat that used plastic bottles inside it to give it boyancy - a great way to recycle.

And here we are after a traditional Peruvian lunch of pasta, pesto and chicken schnitzel! Traditional Peruvian food includes Guinea Pig (called Cuy) but I doubt we'll venture that far. We had a hamster at University called Rogan Josh and even with such an appetising name we never came close to eating him (even when the kebab shop was closed)...so it is unlikely that we'll consume a guinea pig called Guy.

Onto Cusco tomorrow from where we will embark on the Inca Trail on Sunday. Saturday is FA Cup final so looking forward to watching that over breakfast (on at 9am here I think) in Cusco...there will be plenty of Brits there to watch it with I am sure.

More after the Inca Trail...we can't wait to experience the views and the majesty of Machu Pichu, as for the blisters and sore knees, we're less keen on that.






Additional photos below
Photos: 5, Displayed: 5


Advertisement

All aboard the love boatAll aboard the love boat
All aboard the love boat

Well, the reed and plastic bottle boat (which carries a lot of love as its cargo)
5 Star Accomodation on the Floating Islands5 Star Accomodation on the Floating Islands
5 Star Accomodation on the Floating Islands

Natalie begged Jon to let her stay in the Honeymoon Street on the Floating Islands, but he refused.


17th May 2007

Lovely account
So glad it is all going well now. Long may it continue
18th May 2007

I read your journal with a lot of interest because we go to bolivia for 5 weeks in july/august
19th May 2007

We both reed it
Hello again. Dad and I are so happy that you two are well enough to continue and enjoy your wonderful holiday. We enjoy the blog so much and have printed it off to show Nan. Take care and look forward to hearing from you from time to time.

Tot: 0.066s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 8; qc: 24; dbt: 0.046s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1mb