Puno and Lake Titicaca


Advertisement
Peru's flag
South America » Peru » Puno
June 10th 2005
Published: June 13th 2005
Edit Blog Post

Inka Funeral Tower at SillustaniInka Funeral Tower at SillustaniInka Funeral Tower at Sillustani

Ok, this funeral tower is actually currently being reconstructed. The Inkas would never have left a hole between the blocks.
Yes, us again. Are you getting sick of us? We are! We went here blah, blah, blah. We went there blah, blah, blah. It´s all the same. Anyhow...

We are actually in a fine mood despite the ranting. It just seems that every few days there is a blog to be written and pictures to upload. And a few days later, there is another blog to be written and even more pictures to upload. We are thinking about just staying in our hotels and not taking anymore pictures or visiting anything. That will take care of everything! Or maybe not...

So here is more news on what we've been up to:

We arrived in Puno on the afternoon of the 6th. Getting there was fun. We took one of the non-imperial buses (non-luxurious gringo buses). We boarded our ¨8:30 am¨ bus on-time, but it was less than half full. So the company kept running more people out to board the bus. One by one, more people were added to the bus for over an hour. It was a two story bus and the locals over the driver started stomping on the floor and yelling to the security guard in the station to fine the company. It was all very amusing and frustrating at the same time. Luckily, on board we had some wonderful entertainment from several salesmen, including one who claimed that the cause of ulcers was eating hot food and washing it down with a cold beverage. He compared the stomach to a glass. The reasoning went something like think about what happens when you pour boiling water into a cold glass. It shatters. Luckily, he had the remedy for ulcers, an infusion of a local herb.

Puno is on the shore of Lake Titicaca. Elevation 12,500 ft (about 3800 m). If you didn´t know already, it´s the highest navigable lake in the world. This means it´s high, you can drive a boat on it, and you´ll find it hard to breathe while walking uphill in the surrounding area.

On the 7th, we took an a half-day tour to Sillustani. These are Pre-Inca and Inca funerary towers or chullpas. They´re built out of stone and were erected to commerate the kings. The Pre-Inca ones were built out of the natural stones (no carving, just the round stones). The Inca ones were perfectly fitted together without the benefit of modern machinery. We even stepped inside the Lizard Tower to get a close-up view of the niches where the mummies were housed.

The 8th had a lazy day exploring town. We walked to the harbor for views of Lake Titicaca and get info on going out to the islands. We also walked up a hill to a viewpoint overlooking Puno.

The 9th we got an early start in order to head out to the islands. We took a local boat that was taking supplies and locals out to the island of Taquile. On the way, we stopped for about a half-hour on one of the Uros (floating reed islands). This was just a shopping opportunity for the gringos on board. Miniature reed boats, ceramics, bracelets, necklaces, etc. From here it was back on the boat for the three hour ride out to Taquile. The port was about 140m (about 500 ft) below the town. This meant a long, breathtaking (literally at this altitude) uphill hike. In town, we dined at the communal restaurant on the main square and admired the locally made textiles. Traditionally, the women spin the thread and the men knit belts, hats,
Us inside Lizard TowerUs inside Lizard TowerUs inside Lizard Tower

Originally, there were about 40 mummies found inside this tower. They have all since been removed.
etc. The locals still keep their customs and traditional dress. A short walk around and it was time to head back down to port for the three-hour ride back.

The 10th woke early again for the busride to Cusco. More on that later.

Ciao,
Ryan and Ana
p.s. Happy Birthday, Jay!


Additional photos below
Photos: 16, Displayed: 16


Advertisement

Lake TiticacaLake Titicaca
Lake Titicaca

That seems better.
The UrosThe Uros
The Uros

Ryan next to a large reed boat.
A view from the bathroomA view from the bathroom
A view from the bathroom

This is the shot from the window in the bathroom of the community restaurant on Taquile. It had no running water, but what a view.


Tot: 0.168s; Tpl: 0.012s; cc: 12; qc: 71; dbt: 0.1418s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.2mb