Lake Titicaca


Advertisement
Peru's flag
South America » Peru » Puno » Lake Titicaca
May 13th 2006
Published: May 13th 2006
Edit Blog Post

After a leisurely 9 hour bus ride, we arrived in a town called Puno which is situated on the banks of Lake Titicaca. From here we organised a two day, one night tour out onto the lake.

Our first stop was the Islas Flotantes or the Uros Islands. These consist of floating islands where everything is made of reeds. It was kind of bizarre and a bit like Disney land for tourists, however it was possible to get a glimpse into how these people used to live on the water.

From there, we took a very very slow three hour boat ride to an Amantani island. Here each person in our group was "allocated" to a local family who would host them for the next day. The accommodation was rustic, but the family was very friendly and provided all our meals - potatoe´s anyone!?

That night we all went to a local hall on the island for a ho-down. The family dressed us up in ponchos and funny looking hats. We considered ourselves lucky, as the women had to wear the traditional dresses which were pretty full on. It was a great night and we got to dance with the locals to traditional andean music. Andrew nearly scored with some old lady who could really bust a move.

The next day we headed to Taquile island where we did a bit of a hike and ate more of the local food.

We are now back in Puno awaiting our return bus to Cuzco, where we will commence the Inca Trail to Machu Pichu.


Additional photos below
Photos: 5, Displayed: 5


Advertisement



Tot: 0.054s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 7; qc: 45; dbt: 0.032s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb