inca express to puno


Advertisement
Peru's flag
South America » Peru » Puno » Lake Titicaca
August 16th 2008
Published: August 16th 2008
Edit Blog Post

Getting from Cusco to Puno is possible by bus or train. The train is actually longer so we decided to take a day bus (9 hours) with a company called InkaExpress. For 50 USD you can get a bus with a tour guide and 4 sightseeing stops and lunch.

Unfortunately for us, our guide was crap, in Spanish and in English! He just seemed so bored that the whole bus became bored because of him. One stop we saw the gaudiest church in the whole world! They don´t allow photos, so no proof!! We also saw some cool ruins and pre-Colombian art. At one stop they actually started to leave without us, and we were sitting in the front of the bus!! After many hours we learned that our destination Puno, being close to the border of Bolivia, is a hotbed for illegal activites for smugglers.

But for those of us tourists, our destination is Lake Titicaca. Caca as you know means shit. Bolivia and Peru share the lake. Peruvians say that their side is the Titi and the Bolivian side is the Caca. The Bolivians say that their side is the Titi and Peru is the Caca!!

Diana and I had prebooked a hotel, thank shiva because the touts in the bus station are incredible. We just jumped in the taxi and took off. Our place was just off the main square. The owner announced my name a I walked in, as if I were in a famcy dress ball! He was a combination of very strange, creepy and funny- imagine a tall German looking Peter Sellers wearing a beret...

We booked a 3 hour boat ride on the Lake. Lake Titicaca is the highest lake in the world. Our trip took us to a group of ´floating islands´ unfortunately seemingly to exploit these native people living on them. They sang songs for us and we bought some hand'crafted souveniers.

Back on shore, we had some fresh Trucha (trout) and flirted with cute Colombian boy who was trying to get us to stay another night and go see his band play. We were headed to Arequipa, so sorry Luis!

The bus from Puno to Arequipa is about 5 hours. Ours was about 7 or infinity, or is what it felt like!!! Some stops so rediculously long, half of the bus was yelling VAMOS, turn up the Ipod and let´s go!

Arequipa is the second largest city in Peru. We also arrived at a very good time! This week is a festival of the city´s founding. The city is 468 years old this week, and there are parades and festivities galore!! Tomorrow night is a big concert with many bands, including my friend Pepe Alva, and i´m tickled by the fact that a friend´s name is all over the TV!!

So Diana and I have been relaxing, shopping and eating the best Peruvian food on offer. Ceviche is raw fish marinated in Lime juice, onion and spices (the lime cooks the fish) and also many many sweets!! So many cakes and cookies YUM!! Lastnight we sat balcony side to watch a parade when two ladies joined us. One a local and the other her friend from Arizona! Susana, the local Arepiqueña gave us all the lowdown on the traditions!!





Advertisement



16th August 2008

sounds great
i didn't even realize you were on a trip! hahah! you are too many things...didn't you just get back from a trip? what? that was a year ago almost?! wow, baby, time flies. i miss you so much and i really need a geege fix. sounds like you're having a blast...again. so glad for you! i would say come back soon but...no, take your time and enjoy it! have fun for me too! love ya!

Tot: 0.063s; Tpl: 0.008s; cc: 7; qc: 44; dbt: 0.0418s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb