Lake Titicaca


Advertisement
Peru's flag
South America » Peru » Puno » Lake Titicaca
October 24th 2005
Published: November 2nd 2005
Edit Blog Post

We arrived in Puno, which is a bit grim, late at night and just after a huge amount of rainfall - litter and huge puddles everywhere. We then checked into a hostal which was as I imagine a prison cell to be, so our first impressions were less than good! The next day the weather was beautiful, and Pun is right on the shores of the lake, so it picked up fairly rapidly.

We did a two day boat trip to the islands on the lake, starting with the floating Uros islands. They are incredibly beautiful - the colours seem very vivid on the lake, I don´t know if that is as a result of the thin atmosphere or just the huge body of water. Rhuemastism is unsurprisingly a bit of a problem there, living on reed mats over a lake...

We spent the night on one of the natural islands, where we stopped with an old lady (she looked about 100, but was probably only 45 - didn´t like to ask!). She dressed us both up in local costume, presumably for her own entertainment. I looked a bit Monty Python-esque I thought, about a foot taller than our hostess for a start. Scott escaped very lightly, only having to don a poncho and hat. The mud house that we stopped in was a big improvement on the prison cell in Puno - seemed far more cheery!




Additional photos below
Photos: 6, Displayed: 6


Advertisement



Tot: 0.101s; Tpl: 0.017s; cc: 13; qc: 47; dbt: 0.0415s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb