Amazon Rainforest


Advertisement
Published: June 25th 2017
Edit Blog Post

Tuk TuksTuk TuksTuk Tuks

All over Peru we have seen these little taxis. We haven't tried one ourselves; we haven't needed one since we've had a car and driver everywhere.
Geo: -12.6034, -69.1919

Edwin and a new driver picked us up to take us to the airport. We flew to the town of Puerto Maldonado in the Amazon river basin. We found the Inkaterra representatives at the tiny airport in just a few minutes. They retrieved our luggage, and we took a short bus ride with about 10 others to go to the river port. Then we all boarded a boat for a 45-minute ride on the Madre de Dios River to the Inkaterra Reserva Amazonica Lodge. As we traveled, the Inkaterra guide explained a little about the lodge. We would check in and go see our guide right away to pick out all the excursions we wanted to take while in the rainforest. The guide also gave us rubber boots to use for the rest of the time we stayed there. And we used them every day when we went into the forest or on the excursions.

There are 14 excursions to choose from that are included in the price of the stay. We took the introductory walk through the rainforest with our guide and the other newcomers. We decided to take the rainforest by night walk tonight,
Celebration in Puerto MaldonadoCelebration in Puerto MaldonadoCelebration in Puerto Maldonado

There are lots of religious days observed in Peru and every town and village has its own days, too. We saw this parade on the way from the airport to the river port in Puerto Maldonado.
too, but we were the only ones with the guide then. I think the other people with us on the boat did the twilight boat ride instead. We'll do that tomorrow.

One of the new excursions offered is a trip up the river to visit members of the Machigenga tribe. We'll do that tomorrow, too. We have also scheduled the canopy walk and the visit to Hacienda Concepcion. We will think about doing the piranha fishing trip, which was one that we have read about, but it involves a 3 1/2 hour boat ride one-way and costs an extra $240.00. Although it sounds like fun, I don't want to ride 7 hours in their boat just for a couple of hours of piranha fishing and a picnic.




Additional photos below
Photos: 4, Displayed: 4


Advertisement

Banana ChipsBanana Chips
Banana Chips

The Inkaterra guide offered us a snack on the boat ride to the lodge. She passed out these banana chips which are very tasty. We wonder why they have no brand name nor advertising on them. At home that plain brown wrapper would be jazzed up and printed with the bakers name.
Twilight walkTwilight walk
Twilight walk

Philip takes off following the guide during our twilight walk. We listened for birds and bugs and other animals, but didn't see very many.


Tot: 0.093s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 7; qc: 24; dbt: 0.0637s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1mb