Its a jungle out there


Advertisement
Published: July 16th 2006
Edit Blog Post

Our plane?!Our plane?!Our plane?!

Can you believe we arrived safetly in this?
So much for piranah - we only saw a dried out one, used to scare the tourist!!!
Actually the amazon was quite beautiful, reminded me alot of the Australian rain forest except that there are tarantula!! and other crazy stuff - the trees seemed to be the same.

It was quite amusing for us Australians, watching all the pommes and Americans, spraying themselves every 5 minutes, cloths and all with insect repellant!! We also think they wore camoflage gear to hide from the insects???

After our lovely 2 hour boat ride down river - please see the photos, we jumped straight into the pool, and sipped on a Pina Colada!!!!! yummy!!!

After a few beers and a very dismal game of pool, we headed off to a monkey island to, you guessed it, see monkeys!

We all felt like we were in school though, as meals were at set times, we enjoyed it and Jill ate up big!!

The first night, we went for a lovely trip down river to try and see caimen (crocodile/Alligator), but we only saw small ones. On our way back, all torches were turned out so we could enjoy the beauty
Puerto MaldonadoPuerto MaldonadoPuerto Maldonado

The main street.
of the stars and listen too the nights sounds. Until Jill piped up and said ´Kate what are we doing??´Everyone was quiet enjoying it until then, poor Jilly she will learn the beauty of silence one day!!!

Day two was an early start for a 4 hour trek through the jungle, however we only actually went 2 km in land (it took soooooo long because everyone wanted to stop every 5 secs to take photos of absolutely everything) we just took photos of the trees (they stay still longer - hence we got nicknamed the ´tree paparazzi´). It was an enjoyable walk, I especially enjoyed the canoe ride in a ´lost lagoon´ however it was quite funny due to the English frantically bailling out the water - i am sure they thought we would sink (do you really think they would put us in a sinking canoe???). We eventually arrived back to the lodge intime for a quick siesta before lunch.

That afternoon we went fishing for Piranah - sorry dad(s) we didn´t actually see or catch any - a little bit disappointed!!, then stopped at a local families house. Saw Banana trees (very exciting?!), their pet snake
Our boatsOur boatsOur boats

Was not the most comfortable ride ever.
(of course Kate (aka steve by now) had to hold it), and basically gorked at them!! A few of us had a problem with this bit of the tour, but hey we had to do it.

That night we progressively got drunk with everyone, had a ball and laughed like crazy!! Thanks Marcus for the little dance, i expect more at the Oktoberfest!!!

We are now safetly(?) back in Lima, awaiting our flight to Rio tomorrow - Yippeeeeeeee

Love you all - are any of you actually able to see Jilly Willy in any of the photos?

Kate and Jill





Additional photos below
Photos: 8, Displayed: 8


Advertisement

Our lodgesOur lodges
Our lodges

Yes they were completely covered in mosquito netting - no bugs in there - except the spiders, crickets, cockroaches etc, etc
What a tree!!What a tree!!
What a tree!!

What a girl!?
Oh what a night!!Oh what a night!!
Oh what a night!!

The drunken crew!!!
Where´s Willy???Where´s Willy???
Where´s Willy???

Last minute photo here, maybe better next time?!


Tot: 0.13s; Tpl: 0.015s; cc: 11; qc: 48; dbt: 0.0481s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb