In the Jungle the mighty Jungle


Advertisement
Peru's flag
South America » Peru » Madre de Dios » Puerto Maldonado
December 18th 2005
Published: January 2nd 2006
Edit Blog Post

Day 35 and 36



Another early one and a flight later we were in Puerto Maldonado, the start of our jungle adventure. We were taken by (a rather rocky) motorised canoe deep into the Amazon Rainforest to a beautiful lodge. After lunch and a snooze in our own private hammocks, we crossed the river to Monkey Island. As its name suggests, it is an island where monkeys live!! We went for a hike through the jungle and were lucky enough to see several types of monkeys, including a cute mummy one with a baby on her back. Our guide had some bananas and called they came down from the trees so we got really close to them. The humidity in the jungle was pretty high so once we were back at the lodge we dived into the freezing cold swimming pool to cool down. In the evening we went caimen spotting on the river. We didn't see any but sailed down the river in silence looking up at an amazing sky filled with stars.

The next day we got up early to start a 12.5 km trek. We saw monkeys, a tarancula, a dead yellow snake (luckily), leaf frog, poisonous frog and jaguar tracks from the night before. Along with termintes, leaf cutter ants and parrots. We climbed up to the top of a rather precarious look out which stood above the forest's canopy. The view was really great. We then went in a little boat around a lagoon and saw an ANACONDA!!! After a tiring trek back we had a well deserved snooze in the hammocks and then headed off to see a local family living in the rainforest who grew bananas and things. In the evening we played pool and a spot of table tennis before crashing out.


Additional photos below
Photos: 5, Displayed: 5


Advertisement

AnacondaAnaconda
Anaconda

Luckily this was only a baby at 3m long, unlike his mumma who was 8m!! Luckily she was out at the shops.


Tot: 0.075s; Tpl: 0.008s; cc: 11; qc: 52; dbt: 0.0344s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb