Day 17 - 21 (the end of the Intrepid tour)


Advertisement
Published: May 28th 2010
Edit Blog Post

Shopping in CuzcoShopping in CuzcoShopping in Cuzco

but i cant buy anything!!
Day 17:

After the highs of Machu Picchu, the transfer back to Cusco didnt get us back into town until almost dusk.... by the time we went to bed, we'd already been up a whole 24 hours.

So it was rather lucky that we had a free day in Cuzco the following day, a bit of a lay in, a lazy breakfast, laundry as i'd almost totally ran out of clean clothes. And just wandering around Cuzco city which in the midst of everything is actually a beautiful, vibrant town. Suvenior shopping for the girls and lazy lunches.

We had our final night in Cuzco by going out for dinner at "Fallen Angels" which is a beautiful restaurant. I had steak cooked in its own juices yum, and after hardly any sleep the past week, what was supposed to be a big night out of drinking and celebratingm ended with me tucke in bed by 11pm, after just 1 glass of vino, which actually made me quite tipsy!

Day 18:

We're off to the Jungle!!!!

Early morning flight to Puerto Maldonado, transfer on the bus and on boat down the Tambopata river, we finally make it to our eco jungle lodge. Very relaxing, its all designed to be eco friendly, but why do the rooms have only 3 walls.... i just dont know! The lodge is supposed to be sprayed so insects dont really get into your rooms, and mosquitoe nets around the bed still didnt stop me getting eaten alive!!!! Some of the bites even came up in bruises!!! and lucky for me, i DIDNT take any malaria tablets, if i had it, i would feel it by now right????

We start our first walk in the jungle, to the canopy tower, 120 ft high, at the top we can see the top of the rainforest!!! wow, my legs were shaking up the whole way!!! damn this fear of heights!!! but the views were well worth almost peeing my pants from fear cos it was rather shaky too!!!

An easy evening, dinners and jungle beers in the hammock.... just day dreaming the evening away!

Day 19:

Early wake up call, 5am! I should be used to this by now, but no, its still hard waking up so early!!!

We take the boat to try and catch a glimpse of
Tambopata riverTambopata riverTambopata river

Its fast flowing
the Otters that live in the lake, a protected species of Otters that only live in this part of South America, and how lucky, we did spot them, a whole family of them!

the highlight of my day, i caught a phiranah ( dont think I'm spelling it right, but its the flesh eating fishes). This is one of the rarest and most aggresive, i guess I'm just a good fisherman!!!

Lunch and a nap in the hammocks... this is a hard life! and after the Coast and Andeas, its nice to feel some heat and humidity at last!!!!

More jungle walks, followed by relaxing dinner, Pisco sour lessons (I make a mean Pisco sour!), and we find ourselves drinking the pressures of the daily grind away! 😊

Day 20:

Its a day of travelling, we fly back to Lima via Cuzco! Arrive back to Lima, where this all started.

Tha final evening, dinner with the group at Mangos!!! We say our goodbyes and bid our farewells and well wishes to the people that have been our family and friends in the past 3 weeks!!!

Day 21:

Final day in Lima.... Pham flies off back to Sydney tomorrow morning, we spend the day away with some retail therapy!!!! after 3 weeks, i need some new socks, i've realised 5 pairs (but now 4 half pairs) is not enough, and some T-shirts!!! still only 8.5kg!!!!

Dinner tonights with Barbara and Tony, a sweet couple on our tour from New Zealand, and I'm off to start my new adventures!!!! La Paz in Bolivia!!!!

New Chapter!!!!


Additional photos below
Photos: 20, Displayed: 20


Advertisement

See the fear on my faceSee the fear on my face
See the fear on my face

smiling, but not really smiling!!! but what a view!
Relaxing at the eco lodgeRelaxing at the eco lodge
Relaxing at the eco lodge

My mozzie protection!!
hmm... fishes!!!hmm... fishes!!!
hmm... fishes!!!

where are the man eating ones?
Helping with the boatHelping with the boat
Helping with the boat

so it doesnt sink....water out is good!!!
The OttersThe Otters
The Otters

They look kinda scary dont they??
My PiranahMy Piranah
My Piranah

How cute..
My catchMy catch
My catch

want to try my pinkie???
Helping hand!!!Helping hand!!!
Helping hand!!!

Row row row the boat!!
Did someone order a Pisco Sour??Did someone order a Pisco Sour??
Did someone order a Pisco Sour??

Its easy on the sour, heavy on the Pisco, just the way i like it!


Tot: 0.064s; Tpl: 0.012s; cc: 6; qc: 44; dbt: 0.0389s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb