Day14


Advertisement
Published: August 14th 2007
Edit Blog Post

A 4am wake up call, followed by an announcement that the winds from Patagonia in Argentina had blown in overnight, so the original schedule had to be put back 3 hours.
Eventually we got to go downriver to an oxbow lake just off the Rio Tambopata. On the lake we spotted numerous birds and a caiman. But we were out of luck when we took up piranha fishing! Just before lunch, we took a hike through the jungle to a clay lick where evidently Macaws come to feed on a regular basis, unfortunately we were out of luck again! However, after lunch we had a trip downriver to a Medical Centre. This was no ordinary Centre though! We were introduced to a Shaman dressed in a hand-made bark costume. Through an interpreter we were introduced to jungle plants and trees which all had medicinal or healing properties. Claims were made about cures for Parkinsons, kidney problems, cancer and "male problems." There was even a love potion! At the end of the tour, we had our faces painted and entered the laboratory, (garden shed,) where we tested "Para-para" and "Cats Claw" potions. Other than a burning sensation in the back of the throat, I noticed no changes. We also tried some bark from an "anaesthetic" plant which numbed the tongue.
Oliver later went on a optional "night walk" with our guide Gustavo, Sarah and Luciano. I stopped in the bar with Joe and Vaughan. It certainly sounded like Ollie had an interesting time, spotting monkeys, all manner of insects including the deadly Wandering Spider!
The temperature in the Posada Amazonia Lodge had dropped significantly during the day, so much so that it was bitterly cold at night, in complete contrast with the hot and humid night previous. I had a restless night, couldn't get warm, bats flying around the room along with other animals and insects unknown scurrying across the floor. The bedrooms were totally open-plan and wide open to the jungle with curtains for doors. Kerosene lamps were turned off by the staff at 9pm, so from that point on, we were in total darkness unable to see a thing. But, you could hear everything - all the sounds of the jungle which were ever-changing throughout the night, an incredible experience. I also tried a Pisco Sour which is the national drink of Peru, but it must be an acquired taste!


Additional photos below
Photos: 7, Displayed: 7


Advertisement



Tot: 0.088s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 5; qc: 46; dbt: 0.0632s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb