Iquitos-Hectic Lifestyle


Advertisement
Peru's flag
South America » Peru » Loreto » Iquitos
February 25th 2008
Published: February 25th 2008
Edit Blog Post

Have been in Iquitos for a few days now and an enjoying all about it, except the heat and humidity but it´s to be expected so just enjoy all there is to do. Have really just been relaxing along the boulevard as the malecon is called. Went to Belen the floating market area and this time of year all is floating as this is high water season. Quite interesting to take a canoe through the homes and stores. Staying at Celibri hostal close to the boulevard and central plaza, walking distance to everything.
Cost I believe is 33 soles so about $11-12 US, quite nice on second floor so at times a bit of a breeze. It´s fairly new, couple of years old, private bath, cable tv, double bed, tile floors. Small kithen area downstairs for use. Right outside the entry gate there are food vendors from the first thing in the am to about midnight. Great cheap hamburgers, sodas, etc. So no need to go to higher cost restaurants, however have splurged from time to time. Had beef cordon bleu with salad, rolls and a beer to accompany cost about 20 soles, or $6.00 US. So thats a splurge. Internet useage runs 1 sole per hour and calls to Michelle are .50 soles a minute so costs, to me, seem quite affordable. Heading to Peurto Miguel village Feb. 28 for 4 days and will return to Iquitos on Mar. 2 for my Mar. 3 flight to Lima.
So let´s talk about the interesting things that have happened. Have been approached by two young ladies willing to offer their undivided attention, have been approached three times for business transactions involving illegal substances this is a suprise to me as I´m 62 years old it must be my good looks, was a sideliner to a drug raid and eventual arrest on the boulevard.
In the evenings the boulevard comes alive with families and young couples strolling, vendors selling food, toys and the afore mentioned substances.
The other day spent the afternoon learning spanish from a waiter and he learning english from me, it is very slow around town in the heat of the afternoon so we had a good time. Yesterday watched a thunderstorm move into the city and pass through, quite pretty and exciting. As you can tell I am leading a very fast paced existance here in Iquitos hardly enough hours in the day to accomplish all there is to do. Today I´m going to the Plaza to watch the painters doing all the buildings for the upcoming APEX conference, as said above, just not enough hours in the day. It´s 10:30am and am off for another cup of coffee and read my book for awhile, take care all,
Ralph


Advertisement



Tot: 0.11s; Tpl: 0.008s; cc: 9; qc: 48; dbt: 0.0786s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb