largest city in the world with no road access


Advertisement
Peru's flag
South America » Peru » Loreto » Iquitos » Amazon Rainforest
April 1st 2009
Published: April 1st 2009
Edit Blog Post

Yes we are here in Iquitos which, with a population of 600,000, is the largest city in the world that cannot be reached by road. You have to come by boat or fly in.

We arrived yesterday afternoon and managed to find a karaoke bar for Marty to stretch his vocal cords last night. Which was lucky as I thought he might have been body snatched when he commented that people were drinking beer at 11am as if this was something completely foreign and bizarre to him!! I manged not to laugh for about 20 seconds 😊 I on the other hand, of course, have never consumed beer or any other alcoholic beverage at such an early hour, so have no idea what anyone is talking about!!!

We met a weird dutch guy who had been here ¨too long¨ which turned out to be 6 yrs in Peru and a couple of yrs here in Iquitos. I got an education in thrash metal bands and a list of cds I needed to buy. The comparison of bands we listened to in the 80s was hilarious - completely different planets. However he did advise us on who to go to for a Ayervesha ceremony which is where you drink cactus juice or something with a shaman and go on some kind of spiritual journey for the day. He had only had 5 bad journeys but the last 2 had been good!!!

We are off to the jungle this morning for the next 4/5 days and I can tell you that at 8am it is hot and humid. Temps will be in the mid 30´s with humidity sitting around 90%. Anyway its time for breakfast so better go.

Adios for now.......


Advertisement



Tot: 0.168s; Tpl: 0.02s; cc: 11; qc: 29; dbt: 0.0541s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1mb