Welcome to the jungle...


Advertisement
Peru's flag
South America » Peru » Loreto » Iquitos » Amazon Rainforest
September 20th 2008
Published: October 6th 2008
Edit Blog Post

With hardly any time to recover from our trekking we flew to Iquitos, in the Peruvian jungle. Iquitos is the largest city in the world which is not accessible by road, and we spent a day or so there before heading up the river to our jungle lodge which was inside Pacaya-Samiria national park at the point where the Amazon river is born.

Iquitos itself is a bit manic, with thousands of tuc-tucs (motorbike taxis) everywhere you look, or accidentally tread! We found a good restaurant though which did amazing steaks and mashed potatoes as well as very cold beer which is a novelty in the heat of the jungle.

We were taken by car to a town on the Amazon called Nauta which is around 2 hours from Iquitos and then got a boat up the river for about an hour and walked another 45 minutes into the jungle to our lodge. This was basically a hut on stilts, with kerosene lamps and walkways between the cabins. The jungle lodge had a pet tarantula which roamed around the dining area; very important to check under the table and on the hammocks before sitting down!!

We explored the
Our jungle lodgeOur jungle lodgeOur jungle lodge

Complete with pet tarantula, toucan and dog!
jungle around our lodge with the help of our guide, Walter, and were glad of our hired wellies as we walked through the muddy jungle trails. It rained every day - it´s not called the rainforest for nothing!

We saw squirrel monkeys, toads (which were MASSIVE!), huge termite nests and red ant hills. We went out in a boat on the Amazon river where we saw pink and grey dolphins swimming near our boat. The lagoon next to our lodge had alligators which we saw in the dark, and loads of different birds not to mention the piranhas which we fished and ate for lunch! We also visited a nearby village and got an idea of the local way of life.

Tamar also celebrated her birthday while we were there, although we won´t recommend the Peruvian wine which was the only available alcohol!!


Additional photos below
Photos: 14, Displayed: 14


Advertisement

VictorVictor
Victor

drove our boat
Jungle football!Jungle football!
Jungle football!

Not sure it would pass the pitch inspection...


Tot: 0.059s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 7; qc: 44; dbt: 0.0368s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb