Lima city tour


Advertisement
Peru's flag
South America » Peru » Lima » Lima » Miraflores
November 22nd 2015
Published: June 22nd 2017
Edit Blog Post

Plaza de ArmasPlaza de ArmasPlaza de Armas

The main city square, surrounded by grand buildings.
Geo: -12.1229, -77.0267

Today we had a drive around a couple of city districts. Included an interesting look at the Catacombs of the Church of St Francis (sadly, no photos) and the fascinating Larco Museum of Peruvian, pre-Columbian art.

In three underground levels the Catacombs were used as Limas's cemetery for 250 years from 1540. 70,000 bodies were buried there until a regular cemetery was established. After a few years of organisation and restoration, the Catacombs were opened to the public in 1947. It was a welcome change from looking at ornate churches, and it was well worthwhile creeping through narrow, dimly lit corridors. Apparently there was an extensive 16thC network of tunnels under the city; it's uncertain how much of this network is still accessible.

After a brief rest in our hotel we ventured forth for more exploring on foot until evening.

We have not felt at all concerned about our personal safety on our trip so far. No doubt our hotels are in the better neighbourhoods, but we had many dire warnings of pick-pockets and such before leaving Oz.


Additional photos below
Photos: 5, Displayed: 5


Advertisement

Pre-Incan artefactsPre-Incan artefacts
Pre-Incan artefacts

The priests and nobility of the times sought to be regarded as demi-gods. They did not want the common people to see them expressing emotions and so they wore these elaborate nose pieces to cover their faces. The gold and silver earrings were huge too and needed to be supported by strings tied behind the head.
Larco's erotic pottery exhibitionLarco's erotic pottery exhibition
Larco's erotic pottery exhibition

This fellow reminded us of the statue in the 1997 Tim Robbins/Martin Lawrence comedy, "Nothing to Lose".
Lover's ParkLover's Park
Lover's Park

The city is seeking to rejuvenate its coastal strip which is currently a six-lane road at the foot of eroding cliffs. This is one of the popular parks built along the cliff top.


23rd November 2015

HI hope Robyn is fully recovered. I am certainly enjoying your entries.

Tot: 0.203s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 7; qc: 45; dbt: 0.0445s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb