Free day in Lima and welcome meeting

Peru's flag
South America » Peru » Lima » Lima » Miraflores
May 21st 2016
Published: August 6th 2016
Edit Blog Post

I Slept ok. I woke every few hours but managed to fall back to sleep easily. I sorted my bags out to put in storage as I had to check out and recheck in this afternoon and I had arranged a Lima City Tour on Viator prior to departing Sydney.

I went down to breakfast nice and early. The details informed it opened 6.45 however it didn't end up opening until 7. It was a buffet with lots of juices, yoghurt, cakes, fruits and hot foods like bacon, egg, pasta, noodles.

The Viator guide picked me up pretty much at the time indicated. I was the final person. I was relieved there was 6 of us on tour. As much as some people love the whole tour guide to yourself thing I'd prefer to blend in and mix with a few other gringos. The 6 of us consisted of me, an English couple and 3 Americans. The American were Mexican Immigrants though so everyone spoke better Spanish then me.

First we were driven to the love park and got to take on the views of Limas ocean and our guide took photos of us all in front of the statue of lovers. Next we stopped at the old ruins. We didn't go in but got to take some photos through the fence. It's crazy there is a part of the city where they have cut the city road right through middle of the ruins. At this point I pretty much teamed up with one of the Mexican Americans so we took photos for each other and I didn't need to pull out the selfie stick in public. Of course I still did however.

We then drove to Lima city/old Lima past a few squares before stopping at the main square. The guide kept pointing out the wooden balconies which she loved. They do look pretty stunning. This is the square that has lots of the yellow buildings which you see in everyones Lima pictures.

Lima Cathedral is also in the square. It was pretty both inside and out. The cathedral from Lima was really pretty both inside and out. Our guide took us on a tour through the chapel and museum that was attached. Inside Lima Cathedral you could also see some of the underground Catacombs. Next we went to the Church of Santo Domingo and had a walk around there. There was some really pretty gardens and room here. One was an old library full of old bibles. Both Churches were beautiful inside. Makes me wish I went to church a little.

At the end of tour we had an option to stay at old town Lima, drive to the shops and restaurant over water part of miroflores or return to hotel. My new friend invited me to lunch with his friends but I politely declined and returned to my hotel.

I haven't heard a lot of nice things in regards to Lima and I do know personally people who have been mugged there. However in Lima's defence I quite liked the area surrounding the hotel and I felt fairly safe. Therefore I took my chances of going for a walk to get some more cash and find some water. I saw Susan and Warren in the lobby earlier and they gave me directions to an ATM and supermarket. The first bank I went to my cards didn't work (Scotiabank) Ok minor worry. I kept walking and found another bank and that one worked fine. Next I went to the supermarket and bought some waters and some coke (always healthy I am). I hate to admit it but after supermarket I had lunch at KFC. Call it experimental. I can now confirm without doubt Australian KFC is much nicer, especially the fries.

I sat in the lobby on Internet (geek) for a little then asked if I could now check into my room. I was informed my room mate arrived a day early like I had but had not rechecked in yet. I went to the room charged camera and had a bit of a rest before the pre- departure meeting.

Down in the lobby I met Christie from London also travelling solo. Soon we went upstairs and had our group meeting. Highlight may be they will do our laundry for us 2 times on the boat. The lady running briefing was not our guide but our Lima rep. She would just take us to airport and check us and our guide will pick us up in Iquitos. She sounded very excited for us though and told us its a great trip and we should see a lot of wildlife.

I'm actually surprised by the group. More younger people than I expected looking around the room. I met my room mate. She is American and travelling with her parents.

After the meeting Christie, Warren, Susan and I walked to the supermarkets bank to exchange some money to smaller notes. We debated eating somewhere different for dinner but ended up just going back to the hotel. I got my first pisco sour with my free drink voucher. It's not too bad, very lemony.

For dinner I ordered squid tube stuffed with cheese and bacon on salad. It was small but very nice. Following dinner I returned to my room, got myself sorted for the next day and went to sleep.

Additional photos below
Photos: 16, Displayed: 16


Tot: 0.043s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 8; qc: 23; dbt: 0.0232s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (; sld: 1; ; mem: 1mb