Lima


Advertisement
Peru's flag
South America » Peru » Lima » Lima » Miraflores
August 24th 2014
Published: August 24th 2014
Edit Blog Post

We took the morning bus from Ica to Lima and spent the afternoon walking around Miraflores, an area of Lima that is very different from the rest of Lima and other South American cities. It is a very safe and wealthy area which in a way makes you feel like you are in the United States with its many Starbucks coffee shops, Dominos pizza and other American fast food restaurants. We visited the LarcoMar shopping mall which is set into the cliff overlooking the Pacific ocean. Walking around the shopping mall it again felt like we were in the USA with lots of expensive designer American stores and restaurants. We walked along the cliff top and stopped in the parque de amor (park of love) to watch the surfers riding the waves down below. The supermarket we visited in Miraflores was very western and I was surprised to even see NZ blue cheese.

We caught a local bus to the Old Town and visited Plaza de Armas for the Peruvian version of changing of the guards. It was similar to other versions we have seen and took place behind the gates to the Palacio del Gobierno (Peru's presidential palace). Unlike in London, the armed guards made sure visitors stood back from the gates.

We visited the Casa de La Gastromonia to learn about Peruvian food and its history. It was an interesting museum but unfortunately it was all in Spanish so we had to do some mind gymnastics to try and understand it.

We stopped in a busy local restaurant for lunch and had the set menu for 7 soles ($2.50US) before heading to the Central market. We did a bit of shopping for some fruit and avocado before heading back to our hostel.

In the evening we met up with friends for dinner before heading to El Circuito Mágico del Agua, a park with 12 fountains that are illuminated with lights. It was named by the Guiness Book of World Records as the world's largest fountain complex in a public park. There was a laser light show in the 120m long fantasy fountain with the lights, sound and water all synchronised. We had lots of fun especially in the Fuente Túnel de las Sorpresas, a 35m walk through tunnel of water.

Next stop Hauraz


Additional photos below
Photos: 16, Displayed: 16


Advertisement








25th August 2014
Water Tunnel fountain

No World Cup news?
I guess the Cup must have been over by the time you visited Lima--no more time outs for Gary. Love the fountains and the Casa de La Gastromonia though I think I'll stay downtown and visit Miraflores as a cultural oddity. Can't wait to see what treks you do in Huarez!

Tot: 0.054s; Tpl: 0.019s; cc: 10; qc: 24; dbt: 0.0256s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1mb