Off we go again!


Advertisement
Peru's flag
South America » Peru » Lima » Lima » Miraflores
July 2nd 2011
Published: July 3rd 2011
Edit Blog Post

We arrived at Lima, Peru from Toronto very early this morning. There were a few storms along the way, so our flight was a bit longer than estimated but overall it was good. We watched kind of nervously through our little window as we flew through some crazy lightening storms! Scary but pretty :-)

By the time we got through customs and picked up our bags, it was about 2am. So we set up camp under some escalator in the airport and slept there until the sun came up. There was really no way that we going to hop in a cab at 2am in a city that we have never been to, with no place to go, so it seemed like the smartest idea. There were a few other families doing the same so it didn't seem to be an uncommon thing to do.

A few "hours" of sleep later and we were ready to hit the town. We grabbed a taxi to the popular tourist district of Miraflores and started looking for a hostel to stay at. It's high tourist season in Peru right now so most of the places in our Lonely Planet were all booked up until after the weekend so we settled on a cute little place just outside of the John F. Kennedy Parque, called Trust Me... haha - okay!

We dropped our stuff and had some much needed showers, then set out to see what kind of trouble we could get ourselves into. We checked out the Kennedy Parque area which had a cool church and government-like building. There was a ton of activity and shows happening in the park so we were easily entertained. I found a delicious natural foods/vegetarian restaurant in the Lonely Planet that I forced Binnson to go to for lunch - it was super cute and the food was great!!!! Totally worth the hour walk into the middle of nowhere... On our way back from lunch we ran into some crazy European tourists who convinced me to try this "super Peruvian" bottle of booze that they had just purchased at the market, they asked us where we were from and when we told them Canada, they replied with "F%@& the Bruins!!" Hahahaha...... Great.... Wayyyyy to go Vancouver!!!!! Guess the whole world really was watching!

Despite the warnings, it is still much colder here then I was expecting! And we definitely should have learned A LOT more Spanish!! Tonight, we are just checking out the night markets and going for a late dinner. Tomorrow, we will head into Central Lima and book a bus to the next location... Stay tuned!

***Note: Scroll all the way to the bottom to find pics and leave comments!!! ****


Additional photos below
Photos: 26, Displayed: 23


Advertisement

Housekeeping?Housekeeping?
Housekeeping?

Sitting at the foot of our sleeping bag in the airport


3rd July 2011

blogging!
Cheryl, thanks for taking the time to blog. I love reading about your travels! Maybe when I'm old and grey, I'll hire you to take me travelling all over the world. I think it's awesome that you're so adventurous!
3rd July 2011

Yeah! Safe and Sound!!! Keep safe!! Love you!! MOM
3rd July 2011

Have Fun
So since I am not working you are going to provide me with some entertainment for this first summer month! I'm glad you made it there safe and sound. I will be reading about all your adventures from my lounge chair in the yard so keep em coming. I love hearing about all your adventures!! Take care of each other and have a blast!

Tot: 0.276s; Tpl: 0.016s; cc: 25; qc: 91; dbt: 0.2298s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.3mb