Hermanos Yaipen is a Cumbia band


Advertisement
Peru's flag
South America » Peru » Lima » Lima » Miraflores
June 17th 2010
Published: July 10th 2010
Edit Blog Post

Victoria at Hermanos Yaipen performanceVictoria at Hermanos Yaipen performanceVictoria at Hermanos Yaipen performance

Cumbia apparently used to be looked down on as "poor peoples music" but is now enjoying a huge surge in popularity across all levels of society.
We went to see a band Victoria was very excited about at a casino called Festiva.
They have apparently just returned from a very successful tour of Japan.
Hermanos means "brothers" and the Yaipen is the family name of the guy that assembled and manages the group. I don´t think the actual singers are related in the slightest.

It was actually a pretty good evening.

A cumbia band has a LOT of people on stage.
In this case there are 5 guys that each can sing quite well in their own right plus somewhere around 12 musicians playing trumpet, percussion, keyboard, etc.
The whole band played without much of a break, the singers exercising some kind of rotation through the song list.

As each singer prepared to sing, he would interact with the crowd, tease the girls and so forth, which I´m sure is quite appreciated by their groupies.
Victoria I think would have quite liked to have joined said groupies near the stage, but that section had been sold out before we knew about the performance.




Additional photos below
Photos: 4, Displayed: 4


Advertisement



Tot: 0.064s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 8; qc: 49; dbt: 0.0433s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb