Estamos en Peru


Advertisement
Peru's flag
South America » Peru » Lima » Lima » Miraflores
June 28th 2010
Published: June 28th 2010
Edit Blog Post

It´s our first entry while actually abroad! Today was our first day in Peru. We arrived here in Lima at 1AM yesterday morning after a 7 hour flight to Columbia and then a 3 hour flight to Lima. We actually barely made it since we almost missed our plane from Bogota, Columbia to Lima. While on the flight we were reading our travel guide about what to do in Lima and how to get into town from the airport and noticed the frequent mentioning to beware of scammers. It mentioned specifically to beware of taxi drivers that are agressive and will rob you. Then while in the airport there were multiple other warnings about the same thing. So of course, Hesam and I get out of the airport by like 2 in the morning, have no idea what we´re doing and are instantly harassed by about a dozen agressive taxi drivers. However, we had no other way to get into town so we eventually just chose the least sketchy one and hitched a ride. He ended up being nice guy and we had no problems. So last night we got into town late, checked into a cheap hostel and decided to wander around a bit. We found a local bar and hung out there for a while drinking liter steins of beer until around 3:30 in the morning. It was a good ending to the first night abroad.

Today, however, was a little more sporadic. We got up early to catch the free breakfast and the decided that we didn´t really want to hang out around the city and tried to figure out how to get to Cuzco and Machu Picchu. We had trouble booking flights online so decided to just try and go to the airport and see if we could get on a same day flight. We would have made it if we weren´t duped by some more scammers at the airport. They never got any money from us but just ended up wasting a bunch of our time. Well we missed our chance to get to Cuzco today but we have plane tickets for tomorrow morning. We ended up going back into town and just hanging out in Lima for the rest of the day. Tomorrow is when we hope to start our real outdoor adventures!

Advertisement



28th June 2010

Let the adventure begin
I am commenting from Nicaragua, it is amazing here , but like Lima , there are scammers. I have heard great things about Cuzco.I heard hiking, mountain biking and other fun stuff. They told us that Taxis are often used to rob people here as well. It is going to be a blast there. I hope you make it toMacchuPicchu. See you in 3 months!
26th July 2010

Lima.
I am going to Peru next month. I am a bit concerned about security. In therms of crime. Am I being too paranaoid? Your comment would be much appreciated.. Thanks. Luis
26th July 2010

Lima.
I am going to Peru next month. I am a bit concerned about security. In therms of crime. Am I being too paranaoid? Your comment would be much appreciated.. Thanks. Luis
29th July 2010

Peru's Safety
Hey Luis, is this the Luis from UCSD? Anyways, yeah, Peru seems pretty safe for the most part. Lima can get pretty seedy at night, but Lima sucks anyways and I wouldn't recommend spending time there. I think if you're smart you'll be alright. Hope this helps, Brian.

Tot: 0.062s; Tpl: 0.014s; cc: 10; qc: 49; dbt: 0.0407s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb