Peru Trip


Advertisement
Peru's flag
South America » Peru » Lima » Lima » Miraflores
October 24th 2009
Published: October 24th 2009
Edit Blog Post

October 24 - Lima, Peru 11:05am

Despite a somewhat "interrupted" sleep last night, I´m feeling even more excited abou the tour now that I´ve met three of my fellow travellers - there will be 9 of us in total.

Richard, a Canadian living in London is my room-mate in what is the third room I´ve been in since arriving, Aine (pronounced On-ya) is an Irish lass from Dublin and Megan is a fellow Aussie hailing from Newcastle.
We´reabout to head into downtown Lima for a bit of a lok around and lunch before we meet up with all but two of the remaining travellers we´ll be spending the next three weeks with.

October 24 - Lima, Peru 3:45pm

The first thing I noticed on our trip to downtown Lima, specifically Miraflores, I noticed the number of Police patrolling the streets. We walked about two blocks from the Hostal and we came across a footpath market, opposite a large church, where it had things from food to trinkets and water purification systems on sale.

Further into town, we scoped the local restaurants after changing our money from US$ to the local currency of Solos (I think that´s what it´s called!) which was quite interesting as there were people in the street wearing green coats with wds of US and Peruvian currency asking tourists if they wished to exchange - we opted for a bank which surprisingly, and luckily, is open on Saturdays.

Anyway, back to the restaurants... After reaching our destination of Kennedy Park, named for JFK (?) we ventured into a newer area of town, an alley or mall, that was top to bottom lined with restaurants. Each had a waiter/waitress asking you to eat there, offering free beer or Pisco Sour with your meal - it reminded me of Lygon Street in Melbourne! The trouble with these nice, new restaurants was that none of them appeared to have any customers which, given it was 12:30pm, made us think we should perhaps visit a restaurant frequented by the locals.

We ventured back across Kennedy Park and to a restaurant that had a few patrons and also offered fre Pisco Sour - a local drink that has a lingering taste similar to tequila and almost as potent! Whilst more "western" meals were offered - burgers, salads, etc - full guinea pigs were also on the menu, incuding a picture.

Following my meal of chicken, we returned to Hostal Pukara where we met three of the remaining five members of out troupe and they´re all Aussies! So, that brings the tally to 5 Aussies, 1 Canadian/Pom, ! Irish and 2 Kiwis to join the tour tomorrow - this is gonna be a great trip!!

I´m really looking forwars to the tour following the briefing this afternoon after two days here and 30 hours of travelling, the tour has officially and finally begun!!

P.S. - the Star Wars novel wasa reat book!




Additional photos below
Photos: 10, Displayed: 10


Advertisement

Presidential PalacePresidential Palace
Presidential Palace

Changing of the Guards


25th October 2009

molloyski
wow, this sounds so fantastic already, and you've only just begun. love reading your blog,i'll take it to your mum's tomorrow, so she can share the joy! be safe, have fun and don't get kidnapped!!!! love you
5th November 2009

Ahh Marty
You my dear boy are an absolute cracker and i wanna see photos of the book and the guinea pig menu it all sounds way to disturbing to be in on place. Soo jealous right now xo

Tot: 0.098s; Tpl: 0.036s; cc: 6; qc: 45; dbt: 0.0455s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb